Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Starter's Motorbicycle build?

Good morning, MB. I do not have a vehicle, and was hoping to perhaps invest in a motor-bicycle. (to and from work). I was unable to find a moped, despite making large offers, searching everywhere, etc. so it seems the motorized bicycle may be the way to go.

I work at a Factory, on the assembly line. I stand for ten to twelve hours in 110 - 120 degree heat, so walking Home and walking to work is becoming tiring.

I do not care in regards to what the bicycle looks like, but If possible; I'd like it to be simple. (not too flashy. :P); I would be ordering the bicycle, and the motor online.

I would like for it to be reliable, and not fail me down the road and that such. (wouldn't be moving fast).

I was thinking about this bicycle.
What do you think?
Also; where should I purchase the motor from? And what motor?
I'm 120 pounds, 5'9" tall; I'm rather skinny.
Thank you.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Starter's Motorbicycle build?

That bicycle should work fine, however I highly recommend getting a different one that has good direct pull front brake or a disc brake. Remember, if you are moving quickly, you will need to stop quickly too. A coaster type rear brake is not enough in my rule book.

As for an engine, I say get an EZM. There are many members on this forum who are authorized EZM dealers.
Quenton Guenther makes them. As for authorized vendors, scotto- and azbill come to mind first. Sorry to all the others who I cannot recall right now.

Here is EZM's web site:

I have an EZM and so far I love it!

A second choice would be a 4GT system from
I have no experience with them, but I have learned that after a few modifications and welding they can be made reliable.

There are plenty of threads on this site that discuss both drive systems.
"It's a chinagirl. It's a sometimes fun little engine that often will break your heart. It's disposable.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."

Last edited by GearNut; 07-26-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: disc brake
Old 07-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: Starter's Motorbicycle build?

Get a bike on Craigslist/ thrift store/ garage sale. I recommend getting a cruiser since they're cheaper and look good with a motor. I got my bike for $30 at a garage sale and a kit for $150.