Honda GXH50 electric start

GoldenMotor.com

Jetenginethrust

Oct 14, 2008
San Antonio,Texas
Anyone ever put an electric starter on a Honda GXH50?
Something to think about for all those with machine shops.An adapter with a ring gear would have to be fabricated to match the tooth pitch of the many small engine starters.Usually it costs too much to have a shop just do one for yourself.So come on all you machinists "Hook a brother up! LOL".
It would be nice to still have it pull start also by machining the proper grooves into the ring gear for the pull starter.A starter mount would also have to be fabbed.Geez I better start saving up for a milling machine! Also;does anyone have a line on some cool looking fuel tanks for these bikes besides the cheap ones that come with the kits?

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
Do you realize the amount of weight you'll add to the bike simply to avoid pulling the recoil starter? Not to mention the parasitic drain the charging stator will have on the engine. Add in the weight of the starter, engine mount, assorted cables, battery and mounting tray, and I think you're going to see that this idea comes at a heavy cost.
Just my humble opinion though..

Jetenginethrust

Oct 14, 2008
San Antonio,Texas
Yes I do realize the amount of weight I'll add & I don't think it will be much at all by using a small pocket scooter type battery & small starter & ring gear.Whats a few pounds more on a bike that has an engine?You don't have to peddle much.I have carried stuff that weighs more than 50 lbs on one of my bikes in a front mounted basket with no problem & with no engine.I have a small 43cc 2 stroke from a pocket bike with electric start I am thinking about installing on a bike also.I just think it would be really cool & convenient.I don't understand what you mean by parasitic drain the charging stator will have on the engine?The starter will disengage from the ring gear like any other starter through the bendix gear & return spring.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Gee would you be interested in a electric start oil injected horn equipped with turn signals and high and low beam headlight 49cc street legal moped/scooter? Look in the swap and sell area on here I have one for sale and I live in Texas but in the panhandle area and if you would buy this for the price I'm asking I would be willing to meet you 1/2 of the way to San Antonio
by the way there is no pedals.

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
Yes I do realize the amount of weight I'll add & I don't think it will be much at all by using a small pocket scooter type battery & small starter & ring gear.Whats a few pounds more on a bike that has an engine?You don't have to peddle much.I have carried stuff that weighs more than 50 lbs on one of my bikes in a front mounted basket with no problem & with no engine.I have a small 43cc 2 stroke from a pocket bike with electric start I am thinking about installing on a bike also.I just think it would be really cool & convenient.I don't understand what you mean by parasitic drain the charging stator will have on the engine?The starter will disengage from the ring gear like any other starter through the bendix gear & return spring.
The weight you add has an accumulative effect on the bike. You haul weight in your basket and then want to add an additional 10-15 pounds on a starter, ring gear, battery, and cables. The point I was trying to make is that for all the extra weight the engine and clutch has to deal with, not to mention the rims and bearings, it's just not worth it..unless being cool to you is of the upmost importance. Bikes were not made to be pack mules. You're adding additional stress to the frame and everything else attached to it. Read some of the posts on here where the simple weight of the engine and the torque caused stress cracks in the frame. But I was just trying to give you something to think about. On second thought, hang whatever you want on the bike..it's yours and not mine.

If you're not planning on using a charging system to charge the battery, then forget I mentioned parasitic drain.

Jetenginethrust

Oct 14, 2008
San Antonio,Texas
Hi Nitrohorse; I'm just looking for ideas & input from the machinists & fellow MB enthusiasts in the forum.I respect your opinion though,but IMO I feel it's too negative & just a tiny bit argumentative.I started the thread in hopes that others would be interested in an electric start 4 stroke for bike kits.I feel it's worth the trade off for a little extra weight because of the cool factor & convenience :)
I didn't mean to offend you in any way & if I did I sincerely apologize.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Used vintage tanks or reproductions are probably your best bet. I believe derringer is using repro ducati or benelli tanks. I'm sure there are some chopper tanks as well! Starter idea is novel but not practical. Gears can be made on a mill (very tedious) but are typically made on a gear hobber, are cast or forged.

Jetenginethrust

Oct 14, 2008
San Antonio,Texas
Ok enough negativity.Please only respond to this thread unless you have some POSITIVE & PRODUCTIVE input to the 4 stroke electric start idea actually being produced/fabricated. Surely there are others who would like a 4 stroke electric start for the MB kits.

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
Hi Nitrohorse; I'm just looking for ideas & input from the machinists & fellow MB enthusiasts in the forum.I respect your opinion though,but IMO I feel it's too negative & just a tiny bit argumentative.I started the thread in hopes that others would be interested in an electric start 4 stroke for bike kits.I feel it's worth the trade off for a little extra weight because of the cool factor & convenience :)
I didn't mean to offend you in any way & if I did I sincerely apologize.
Jet,
You certainly didn't offend me. I never felt that way from any of your posts.
I was simply trying to add my concerns about weight and structural issues.
I do agree that electric start would be nice, but in my opinion, the risks outweigh the benefits...
Just my opinon though, and you know what they say about opinions...ha..ha.
Keep us updated on your progress, I like your creativity.
Thanks!!

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Is it not an option to just adapt the parts from your electric start 43cc 2-stroke to the Honda GXH 50?

As for Fuel tank options look to the world of mopeds. Moped Army - Swarm and Destroy look thru the photo gallerys to see which models have tanks that you like and then look for them used on e-bay or at moped shops. The Deringer tank mentioned in the post above is from the General 5-star line of mopeds from the 70's and 80's. The Puch Magnum has a very interesting tank. There are NOS General Step-Thru Tanks availabe from handybikes.com Handy Bikes USA - The largest distributor or vintage moped parts in the USA! for $50.00. And then as I said above ther is always e-bay they have a catagory for moped gas tanks.

ocscully

Jlp.media

Apr 27, 2015
Southern Maine
Yes, Louisiana tech added a 12v electric start to the gxh50 as well as an EFI to the tech xx for the shell Eco marathon.

They removed the pull start mechanism/cover and attached a large sprocket directly to the flywheel and the starter motor linked to that. then you can use the regen from the starter to keep your 12v battery topped off, power your lights or any of your devices via a step down controller.

Picture 20/20
http://orgs.latech.edu/ecocar/photosnew.php?dir=Urban%20Drive%20Train/

Last edited: