Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Pre-Motorized Bicycle Information.

Pre-Motorized Bicycle Information. Before you mount that engine to your bicycle frame, you'll want to know if the bike is ready for the engine! Ask our experts here for advice on what motorized bicycle engines perform well on what bicycles.

Frame: Steel vs. Aluminum?

Before you mount that engine to your bicycle frame, you'll want to know if the bike is ready for the engine! Ask our experts here for advice on what motorized bicycle engines perform well on what bicycles.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Question Frame: Steel vs. Aluminum?

Getting ready to throw down some dollars for a Felt. Common sense says that the steel frame is by far the more durable, however I see alot of you guys using aluminum frames. Why is that? Being a super noobie, I want to buy the most durable frame, engine, etc. Seeing as how I'm aiming for max power (considering a 9HP Morini), low maintenance. So, aluminum or steel?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Frame: Steel vs. Aluminum?

Disregard gentlemen, more than enough info is available by way of "search". No need to waste you guys' time. Couldn't figure out how to delete this thread...
Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

A name brand aluminum frame is OK. I would still prefer a name brand steel bike for a 9hp engine.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:23 PM

Thanks Bender. Totally going with the Felt MP, probably order it up next week. Simply because it comes with a few of the bells and whistles I'd like.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:20 AM
Banned

here is the deal with a morini. they dont just bolt on like a kit engine. they require fabrication, welding, and very good mechanical skills to install on a bicycle. If you dont have all of those, I dont recommend a morini for your first motorbike. a mountain bike with an ht engine (2 stroke) or a 4 stroke with a shift kit should give you a fair amount of performance. however, if you do have the skills and equipment necessary for a morini build, go for it. I just wouldnt recommend aluminum for a morini build. people have cracked steel frames with morini engines.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbutterbean View Post
here is the deal with a morini. they dont just bolt on like a kit engine. they require fabrication, welding, and very good mechanical skills to install on a bicycle. If you dont have all of those, I dont recommend a morini for your first motorbike. a mountain bike with an ht engine (2 stroke) or a 4 stroke with a shift kit should give you a fair amount of performance. however, if you do have the skills and equipment necessary for a morini build, go for it. I just wouldnt recommend aluminum for a morini build. people have cracked steel frames with morini engines.

Good points. While I want to get to know an engine all together, I do plan on outsourcing the welds and so forth to a reputable place. Alas, I have decided to buy my frame (Felt MP), order a cheap china girl, learn it and later upgrade. I'll transfer the china to my g/f's huffy. (She won't know the difference.)

Also, a steel frame is in order. Unfortunately, my fellow Felt-zers have noted that those provide less space for an in tank frame. Totally bummed about that but hey.. anything for a Felt.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
A name brand aluminum frame is OK. I would still prefer a name brand steel bike for a 9hp engine.
Thanks bender. I'm a little dismayed w/ the fact that an intank frame is a difficult to-do with the steel body but I've seen a pretty awesome behind the seat tank application. I think I'm going to run with that.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Banned

I got a two gallon plastic yamaha tank from a parts guy for $15 a couple years ago. looks a little big on the bicycle, but holds 2 gallons if I want to fill it up. usually only put a gallon in at a time. plastic is good because it wont rust and develop leaks like a metal tank. some Felt frames have a hollow top tube that I believe a few forum members have adapted for an in frame tank, so you could look into that. the behind the seat tanks are quite expensive unless you want to build your own. If you want to find a used plastic tank, check ebay and craigslist for those.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 PM

Thanks I think I'll check into that.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Banned

I would also like to give you a little more advice, but please dont get offended. I see a few people come to the forum that are new to the hobby, and they say I want to do this with my bike, and I want to do that. My advice is this: start simple. looking for a bigger or more stylish gas tank is fine, just dont get caught up in trying to take your kit right out of the box and doing a million different things. Get the kit, put it together, see how it runs and how the parts in the kit hold up, and go from there. Break the engine in, make adjustments as needed, and learn the ins and outs and quirks of your bike. the quality of some of the parts in the china kits is not always the best, and sometimes the parts seem fine at first and break in a month or two. some of it also depends on how well it is put together and how well it is maintained. I say this as one who started out in this hobby with very little mechanical knowledge and no experience, and one who went through a lot of trial and error with my first bike. again as a reminder, this is just some friendly advice. in the end, its up to you to decide how you want to approach building your first motorized bike. However you decide to approach it, I say good luck.