Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles

Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles Forum announcements and instructions for posting on motorbicycling.com. To start a new thread choose the appropriate area. No new threads can be started in this area

Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Glossary Of Motor Bicycle, bicycle parts and tools

@youknouno, et al: make sure you change it from "hundredths" to "thousandths" - the glaring error I made the first time I posted that.

Get on the motorbicycling.com member map

Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Head tube: this is where you should mount your handle bar stem, complete with appropriate bearings, washers, etc.
Handle bar stem: holds your handle bar in your desired, fixed position (if you remembered to tighten the clamping bolt). Otherwise, If you should happen to turn your handlebars, the bike may continue on its path toward that glass storefront window.
Top tube: spanning the distance from the head tube to the seat post, this is the tube your crotch will encounter should you suddenly slam on the brakes and slide off your seat.
Down tube: this spans the distance from the head tube to the bottom bracket, and is often too big for a front motor mount.
Seat tube: holds the seat post, unless you've built a board track replica; then it's just in the way up top.
Chain stays: these span the distance from the bottom bracket to the rear dropouts and the ends of the seat stays, and are the first thing a maladjusted drive chain will chew through. Thus leaving you to get a new frame or haggle with a professional welder.
Seat stays: span the distance from the seat post down to the rear dropouts. Often the first thing to break on a cheap bike, so I've read.
Bottom bracket: where the crank lives. And where you put the adapters when you discover you need an extra-wide crank after you've already mounted the engine.
Rear (and front) dropouts: are where you mount your wheels. They are so-named because, if you do not tighten down your wheel bolts correctly, your wheels will drop out.
Pedals: where you put your feet and what you push against to make the bike move. The left pedal is threaded for the left side of the crank. The right pedal is threaded for the right side. If you wish to amuse yourself, put them on wrong and watch them come unscrewed as you ride.
Crank: this is where you mount your pedals (on their correct sides, you daredevil!) and where the pedal sprocket is mounted. The stock cranks are sometimes too narrow to deal with motors. The stock pedal sprockets can get in the way sometimes too. You'd think they could build 'em with motors in mind.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 07-01-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Staff

I am so sorry I am behind on this. I will get on this ASAP.

A guy is forcing me to sue him and am working 14 hrs a day trying to get new contracts and building a work shop (which is on hold for town aprovel)

But is great of you guys to take the time to contribute. This will really help new folks and especially new members!

I mean it, thanks and I apologize for not being up to date.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 07-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
A guy is forcing me to sue him and am working 14 hrs a day trying to get new contracts and building a work shop (which is on hold for town approval)
Well that sucks, is the guy just a dick or what?

I didn't read through this whole topic of what was covered so far but I am in a jovial mood and have a minute to throw a few terms out I use.

Handlebar Grips:
The obnoxiously hard plastic things you are supposed to hold on to bike with and still expect to have a comfortable ride.
Anyone want some left sides? I have a bunch.
I cut the throttle side off too and put foam BMX grips on both sides of my builds.

3-Piece Cranks:
Meaningless for a direct drive build but important for Jackshaft build when the whole bottom bracket crank assembly needs to be replaced and the whole thing needs to come out.

1. First remove the cover over the crank arm mount and then get the exact right socket to get the crank arm retaining bolts or nuts out.
The right side is reverse thread.

2. Discover the crank arms won't just pull off because they are designed with a wedge fit. Beat arms with a hammer and discover they still won't budge. Buy the frigg'n 'Crank Arm Removal Tool' and ***** about it.

3. Go to remove the BB shaft and discover it needs it's own special tool as well and there is more than one size. Try beating it with a hammer and Primitive Pete screwdriver only to find that won't work either.
Buy the frigg'n 'Bottom Bracket Removal Tool' and ***** about it.

Primitive Pete Tool:
Usually a screwdriver or adjustable wrench, but in short it is any tool you mess up using it to pry or beat something rendering it useless for it's intended purpose.
I have 2 full sets of tools, the good stuff and the Petes.

I have a bunch more terms that will make you smile but out of time, I'll swing back by though ;-}
Old 07-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Staff

Yeah KC Buddy, the former. Not the or "what part", lol.

It is exhausting and a major PINTA. Will be fine. I prolly will not see a cent but am gonna annoy him with all means possible and legal. Had him screaming the other day that as he declared bankruptcy, he does not have to pay me. He declared before we even met. Also dragging him to the labor dept. My goal is to cost him 3 times the $grand he owes me.

We made a deal and shook hands in front of God and every body and a deal is a deal....

Ah, sorry about the venting. Even the dog is tired of hearing this.

Big time, thanks for to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 AM

I was hoping someone would define jackshaft ...
Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Oregon View Post
He's John Shaft's tougher brother.

(No he's not. Don't mind me; I just felt like being a wiseguy.)

It is a sort of in-line drive shaft where a gear at one end is driven by the engine and the shaft then transmits that power to a drive wheel courtesy of a gear at the other end.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM

Thank you Mr.Wrench.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Oregon View Post
Actually I think the term Jackshaft comes from the mechanical means of 'Highjacking' a given motors output via a shaft to change the side and/or direction of the motors output.

In the case of motorized bikes that would be highjacking the left side counter clockwise turning motor output via a shaft and 2 sprockets over to the right side where your pedal cranks and reversing it to clockwise like your pedals so you can tie the two together.

Why? So your motor can use the bicycle drive chain and gears ;-}

If you have a clockwise spinning right side mount motor you don't need one, all you need is the freewheel pedal crank assembly and sprocket to hook it up.

Here are 2 examples.

This bike is a 4-stroke left side CC turning motor with a Jackshaft.

This bike is an electric right side clockwise turning motor that doesn't need to be 'highjacked'.

In both cases the bicycles fixed pedal cranks are replaced with freewheeling cranks.
It would be nice if you get a cheap 2-stroke motorized bicycle motor that was like that electric then with the just the freewheel you would have a bike with just one drive chain from the pedal side.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM

Here's another term that puzzles me: "white wire" referring to wiring electrical systems on bikes.