Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles

Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles Forum announcements and instructions for posting on motorbicycling.com. To start a new thread choose the appropriate area. No new threads can be started in this area

Old 06-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: Glossary Of Motor Bicycle, bicycle parts and tools

BGF,SBP. When I started here, I wondered what these letters should mean. There may be others.
I use no abbreviations.

True anecdote: When I was a kid, I should learn to play piano. That did not work somehow. More than one finger at the same time. So I learned typewriter. With the years it became a minimum of 250 characters per minute. So I do not use abbreviations.

Multipaul
Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Staff

Yeppers Youko, we are getting there. I kinda messed up and figured out what I was doing wrong so will be a little neater soon. LOL, I hope.

That was funny Paul.

Amazing the way the mind works. I picked up the piano like it was nothing and still type with only 3 fingers of either hand.

Just dawned on me. It was the acronyms that got me thinking about this years ago. A bunch of us were gonna do just this. I think we did 3 and sort of wondered away.

I am almost embarrassed. Was 2 years ago. Well, that is several decades in internet time. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=23277

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 06-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

N- Nitrous kit- A bad idea, see also, darwin award, see also blown motor

D- Darwin Award- An award given out to the individuals who removed them selves from the gene pool in a way that promotes survival of the fittest.

B- Blown motor- A motor gone haywire, could be as simple as burnt rings or could be as bad as a motor reducing its self into its base elements around the proximity of your groin

LabRat that golden pos ya got with the homescooled monarks

coated pistons
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42853
Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 PM

Hey Dan. Can ya include that list from Nougat on the first page of the thread that you linked? Those were good.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:26 PM

"WOT is Wide Open Throttle

Gap: the distance between the electrode and ground on a spark plug, usually measured in hundredths of an inch.

Torque, here usually in reference to head nuts: the measure of tightness, measured in inch pounds (for these tiny motors) or foot pounds. 12 inch pounds = 1 foot pound.

Mix, referring to 2 cycle oil in fuel: 32:1 is 32 parts gasoline to one part oil, equivalent to four ounces of oil added to a gallon of gasoline.

TDC: Top Dead Center, the position of the piston when it is at the very highest point in the cylinder. Usually used in relation to ignition timing, but the 2 strokes have non-adjustable timing.

Four stroking: a 2 cycle is supposed to ignite on every piston up stroke. If the engine is too rich (too much fuel), it will fail to ignite one on stroke, then pre-ignite under compression on the following stroke, then not ignite, etc.

Mag: Magneto, the coil of wire inside which the magnet rotor turns, generating electricity.

Porting: the practice of carefully grinding the intake and exhaust ports and the intake pipe and exhaust header, so that the edges match. This makes for better flow, and thus more power."

^Nougat

" 'porting' is grinding the ports bigger, while "port matching" is grinding the ports to match."

^bairdco
Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM

fubar Fouled up beyond all recognition
noob someone relatively new to the hobby I think...usually posts whines about how bad the cheap kits quality is...see also fubar as this is usually what they have done to their kits LOL
Old 06-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Gutter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonerdizzle View Post
After seize- the liberal application of anti-seize to a bolt to hide the fact that you neglected to anti-seize it before it locked tight
Anti seize a little goes a long ways! It will not be long before you figure out it got all over you and your surroundings lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 PM

I don't plan on being a whiny FNG. If after much patience and trial and error, I'm unable to get the cheap motor up and spinning, I've already resolved to spending the pretty penny.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Custom MB Buiilder

How can we help? What would you like to know?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:52 AM

Norm's section has most answers if you dig. These things are pretty simple devices once you read the troubleshooting steps. There is also a search tool at the top of the page when you go into any section of this site that is most usefull.