Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles

Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles Forum announcements and instructions for posting on motorbicycling.com. To start a new thread choose the appropriate area. No new threads can be started in this area

Old 09-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Staff

Default glossary

Was thinking a glossary of terms, abbreviations and acronyms would really help new folks. Drove me insane when I first got into this, trying to figure out what folks were talking about. Make it a communal effort with pictures and diagrams. Some great folks took the time to make em already to help others, so most of the work is done on that.
Dunno, just a thought.

As an added bonus, when we get around to publishing a motorized bicycle Book (May I suggest calling it "the big book of Motorbicycling" or "How to anger your neighbors with out really trying") we will already have a glossary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 09-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: glossary

I think that is a great idea! There are still a few that I'm trying to figure out. I figure if I keep reading I'll finally get it.

Sidecar
Old 09-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Good idea Dan, a sticky for it too.

Other than SBP being Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance parts for your motorized bicycle that sell the Jackshaft shift kit and and Expansion Chamber among other things.

CDI is Capacitor Discharge Ignition, it that little black box with the plug wire coming out and a pair of wires you need to hook to your motor.

That is all that I have right at moment. It's been a long day.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Staff

But thinking about it, Internet stuff to brand new users is like learning a new mini language too. I had written an essay on interweb acronyms. I made up a few just to see if they would catch on. They didn't. snork.

I have to edit this, but kinda works. I'll fix this later

"Online language and etiquette

bbl = be back later.

brb = be right back.

Ty = thankyou

Yw = your welcome

Yvw = you’re very welcome

Np = no problem

lol = laugh out loud.

rofl = rolling on the floor laughing.

tc = take care. sd = sweet dreams. gm = good morning.

= wink = smiley [;~)> = computer guy winking (self portrait)

Online etiquette is not unlike any other polite society. Basic common sense should be your guide. Some folks come online and think the rules of polite society don’t apply because they are home or at work and anonymous. People still have feelings that can be bruised. Play nice. Don’t be offensive. (Though, like the real world, most are good and fun to chat with)
A word of caution; Meeting some one on the internet is no different then meeting them on the beach, bars or a park. Most people are mostly good, but not all. So use common sense. Any meetings face to face should be in public places, like a restaurant etc. Never give out personal information on the internet no matter how long you have known them. It might not be who you think it is reading it.

It always amazes me how intimate the written word can be, even in text. There is some thing about seeing words that some how makes it true when in fact its just some unhappy person being mean or kind person being good. Be good.

I once met a woman in a chat room. (Notice I speak as though we were there in the flesh) and she spoke how happy she was but didn’t mention a boy friend or husband. I asked if she was in love. She said “yes, how did you know?” The power and intimacy of the written word is an awesome thing. I really didn’t know, Just a feeling.

Bottom line; every thing you need to know about online etiquette, you learned in kindergarten. Play nice, don’t push and have fun."

Last edited by Dan; 09-15-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 AM

WOT is Wide Open Throttle

Gap: the distance between the electrode and ground on a spark plug, usually measured in hundredths of an inch.

Torque, here usually in reference to head nuts: the measure of tightness, measured in inch pounds (for these tiny motors) or foot pounds. 12 inch pounds = 1 foot pound.

Mix, referring to 2 cycle oil in fuel: 32:1 is 32 parts gasoline to one part oil, equivalent to four ounces of oil added to a gallon of gasoline.

TDC: Top Dead Center, the position of the piston when it is at the very highest point in the cylinder. Usually used in relation to ignition timing, but the 2 strokes have non-adjustable timing.

Four stroking: a 2 cycle is supposed to ignite on every piston up stroke. If the engine is too rich (too much fuel), it will fail to ignite one on stroke, then pre-ignite under compression on the following stroke, then not ignite, etc.

Mag: Magneto, the coil of wire inside which the magnet rotor turns, generating electricity.

Porting: the practice of carefully grinding the intake and exhaust ports and the intake pipe and exhaust header, so that the edges match. This makes for better flow, and thus more power.

Get on the motorbicycling.com member map

Old 09-16-2010, 12:03 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

Nougat, "porting" is grinding the ports bigger, while "port matching" is grinding the ports to match.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Staff

LOL Paul. Is that what you kids are calling it now? "Counseling your selves"?

Old 09-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Ah, right on porting vs port matching. See? I need a glossary!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nougat View Post
WOT is Wide Open Throttle

Gap: the distance between the electrode and ground on a spark plug, usually measured in hundredths of an inch.

more power.
Isn't 25/100 a quater inch,thats whats wrong ,I got the gap too small
Old 09-17-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgi1 View Post
Isn't 25/100 a quater inch,thats whats wrong ,I got the gap too small
Argh, thousandths. I quit.