Second build.. I need something different

GoldenMotor.com

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
OK. So, as I sit there yesterday installing my sissy bar on my beach cruiser, I figured, wow, I've done a lot to this bike.. I need something different.

So, I get on here, and think.... These mountain bikes with a shift kit are pretty sweet. I want to ride and shift. I don't care for speed, I would get on the motorcycle for that. I just want a new project. Something else to tinker with, and then ride it with the wife and kids.

I am going to get a Schwinn this time. My huffy gave me absolutely no problems, but it was my first bike. It was what I just wanted play around with, and learn.

Now that I have experience under my belt, I want to get a decent 5-7 sped bike, and get a shift kit.

I see what everyone is playing with. I have a budget of 250 on the bike, plus I know the engine will be 150-200, plus shift kit 150-200. I was going with Pirate cycles, or thatsdax. But Dax is out of shift kits. Any other suggestions?

Anything I should know before I get started? Advice?

I'm excited.. Let the good times roll!!!.crt.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Wow, 78 views, 0 replies...

Well, here is what I bought today from Walmart. I went to Academy outdoors, Target, and 3 Walmarts. This one is the best one for my needs.

Anyone with any experience with these. It's a Genesis GS700.

Attachments

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Upgrade the deraileur to a shimano xt and a good shifter, you will be glad you did. The stock will start to wear out quickly and you get sloppy shifts, not a good thing at 30 MPH. Also a good idea to upgrade the rear hub to handle the torque, but not absolutely necessary. The bike looks nice, how much did ya pay for it?

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I paid 140 for it. It's actually 179.

I am just putting everything together for now. I will get the motor and shift kit soon.

The shift kit I was looking for is the HD one from Sick bike parts..

Sick Bike PartsHD shift kit

I will put a regular 66cc chinagirl motor from Piston Bikes. It's where I got my first bike motor, and I don't mind the service. I'm looking at probably this motor
Grubee GT5 66cc
I guess the engine kit I had is no longer available.

I also saw this kit from BikeBerry. I guess it's not bad, either.
bike berry gas engine kit

Anyone have any luck with any of these set-ups?

Anyone see any problems with these set-ups?

The more I know, the better I will shop. I will make sure I buy everything I need, so I can just put this together in one day. Rather then buy, build, stop to buy more things, build... You know how that is.

Thanks for the info, guys. Keep it coming

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Sounds like a solid start. For the kits, I guess it depends if you want to fart with a V3 CNS or stick with the tried and true NT, eh? I suppose you could change out the V3 later, but yea, parts = waiting :p

While you're ordering from SBP, you should think about their oversize tube front mount, maybe some carb O-rings, dual-pull brake lever.

Be sure to order the right size for your down tubes(shift-kit, and front mount) and you should be good.

Oh, and start reading/memorizing the install manual now, it'll save some headaches later on :)

gl.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
OK, so ditched the plans to work with a Genesis 29er because the frame would have been too small. So, went to Wally world, found this in a store on the nice side of town. I have never heard of it "Ironhorse Yakuza 5.1". But the guy at the store said it was a very nice one, plus it was 279 bucks. So, it must have not been too bad. It had Shimano and Schwinn parts on it. SO I figured it is at least going to be decent.

So, like I said before, 66cc and a Jack shaft. BOOM.. I will post pics in a month or two. Wife probably won't let me get that stuff in the next few weeks... I just bought a motorcycle, too. So, I've got to be patient with my money spending..

Lemme know what you guys think...

Attachments

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
OK guys. I'm going to order the SBP shift kit here in a few days. I have a good motor (66cc) sitting in my garage. But it's just the motor. No carb, no cables, nothing else. Does anyone know where to get just the other stuff if you have just the motor. I know I can get cables and make them work, and probably buy either a new carb, or a fleabay carb. Any advice???

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
.wee.OK, talked to Pablo at SBP and ordered the shift kit, plus a bunch of other things. Going to rob the motor of my old build, and have the cruiser be just a pedal power bike.xct2
.crt.I can't wait. This thing is going to rock!!!.wee.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I also have been looking at the Ironhorse bike. I work at a Walmart part-time and build the bikes. We have had a lot of problems with the wheel bearings on them! I will change them out first thing if I decide to go with one. You should too!!

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
OK. Got the bike built. My chains are rubbing together. But, I think I have the chains mixed up.

Help me out. Does your jackshaft chain go to the large sprocket, and your rear durailer chain goes to the smaller sprocket?

Any help will be appreciated..

Attachments