Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors



Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Tavern > Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles

Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles Share you knowledge of the laws pertaining to your state on motorized bicycling in this forum. Remember to always verify everything yourself with your dmv


CA. Law Info

Share you knowledge of the laws pertaining to your state on motorized bicycling in this forum. Remember to always verify everything yourself with your dmv


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Biker Mike's Avatar
Biker Mike Biker Mike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cropwell Alabama
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default CA. Law Info

Just passing this along. This guy sells kits on e-bay and answered the question below. His seller ID is "artistic_1one"

Q: Hi, I have been trying to figure out CA's laws on these. Can an 80CC motorized bicycle be registered in CA? I thought they had to be under 50CC. Do they require C.A.R.B. approval or is an EPA sticker enough? Sorry, I want to get my girlfriend one and she won't ride it unless it's legally registered in CA. Thank you, Ken Oct-08-08
A: I stopped by DMV and waited in line. DMV stated... "if it has pedals, no need to register. It is considered a bicycle" Hope this helps
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 PM
TwoWalks's Avatar
TwoWalks TwoWalks is offline
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sonora Ca.
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CA. Law Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Mike View Post
Just passing this along. This guy sells kits on e-bay and answered the question below. His seller ID is "artistic_1one"

Q: Hi, I have been trying to figure out CA's laws on these. Can an 80CC motorized bicycle be registered in CA? I thought they had to be under 50CC. Do they require C.A.R.B. approval or is an EPA sticker enough? Sorry, I want to get my girlfriend one and she won't ride it unless it's legally registered in CA. Thank you, Ken Oct-08-08
A: I stopped by DMV and waited in line. DMV stated... "if it has pedals, no need to register. It is considered a bicycle" Hope this helps
I am not a lawyer and I am not in Law enforcement.

From reading the vehicle code in California concerning Motor Assisted Bicycles and also from contacting the local Highway Patrol office as well as reading the California Highway Patrol web site. Here is my take on MAB.

If it is electric with peddles, it does not need to be registered.
If it has peddles and a gas engine, it is a moped and needs registration.

Now with that said: It also seems there is a really lax attitude among 95% of law enforcement in California. It is that 5% that I got a Moped License for.
__________________
My world of Motorized Bikes

"Progress may have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." -- Ogden Nash
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-13-2008, 09:17 PM
corduroylion's Avatar
corduroylion corduroylion is offline
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: norcal
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CA. Law Info

k....

if your bike produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower then all you need to do is fill out the "Motorized Bicycle Instructions and Application (REG 230)" (( you can get the form on dmv.ca.gov under the link Vehicle Registration Transactions and turn it in at the DMV. im sure there is a registration fee.

if it produces more the 2 gross brake horsepower then you need an M2 class license and a moped registration. its then considered by the DMV to be a moped.
__________________
"what the catapiller called the end of the world the master called a butterfly."

"live to ride! ride to live!"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Dave31's Avatar
Dave31 Dave31 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Baja,Arizona
Posts: 11,195
Thanks: 196
Thanked 75 Times in 70 Posts
Default Re: CA. Law Info

I found this in ....The Downey Patriot

Downey,CA
Q: What is a “motorized bicycle” and what are the rules and requirements to drive them?

A: First, there are two types of motorized bicycles. The first is a moped or motorized bicycle – a two-or-three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, a motor which produces less than 2 gross horsepower, and has a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour.

The second is a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that has an output of not more than 1,000 watts, and has a maximum speed of not more than 20 miles per hour.

Motorized bicycles do not need to be registered. However, you will need a Class M1 or M2 (moped only) license to drive and helmets must be worn by all riders.

Q: Are motorized bicycles or mopeds allowed on city streets?

A: Motorized bicycles are allowed on bicycle lanes that are adjacent to a roadway. They may be ridden on the street on the far right hand side as to not impede traffic if a bicycle lane is not available. Motorized bicycles are not allowed on bike paths or lanes that are not adjacent to the roadway or any other pedestrian trail or path unless otherwise posted.

Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? Readers can submit any DMV-related questions to askdmv@dmv.ca.gov.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 PM
vja4Him vja4Him is offline
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CA. Law Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWalks View Post
I am not a lawyer and I am not in Law enforcement.

From reading the vehicle code in California concerning Motor Assisted Bicycles and also from contacting the local Highway Patrol office as well as reading the California Highway Patrol web site. Here is my take on MAB.

If it is electric with peddles, it does not need to be registered.
If it has peddles and a gas engine, it is a moped and needs registration.

Now with that said: It also seems there is a really lax attitude among 95% of law enforcement in California. It is that 5% that I got a Moped License for.
You actually got a moped liscence for your bicycle? What part of California do you ride your bike? I live in Modesto, and before I put a motor on my bicycle, I want to make sure that I know the laws ...

I still want to be able to ride my bicycle (without the motor running) on the sidewalks, and other areas, where motorized vehicles may be prohibited.

Is there any legal problem with riding motorized bicycles when the motor is not operating? Or do the restrictions apply once you have attached the motor, even if it is not running?

I really want to have an electric motor than will push my Electra Townie faster than 20-25mph. I would like to be able to go at least 35-40mph. Although, I will not ride that fast all the time, just when I'm commuting on country roads where the speed limit is faster than 35mph.

I was reading through the California laws regarding mopeds and motorized bicycles, and it doesn't seem to be specific enough .... or is there a more thorough version of the law that gives more details?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2008, 10:40 PM
vja4Him vja4Him is offline
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CA. Law Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroylion View Post
k....

if your bike produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower then all you need to do is fill out the "Motorized Bicycle Instructions and Application (REG 230)" (( you can get the form on dmv.ca.gov under the link Vehicle Registration Transactions and turn it in at the DMV. im sure there is a registration fee.

if it produces more the 2 gross brake horsepower then you need an M2 class license and a moped registration. its then considered by the DMV to be a moped.
Do you need a license plate? tail lights and turn signals, horn, headlight?

Does the same law apply to bicycles with electric motors?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Can Harm Hen's Avatar
Can Harm Hen Can Harm Hen is offline
Motorized Bicycle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Davis, California
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CA. Law Info

Sending in a REG 320 with $16 will get you a license plate. There's nothing about lights or horns, so I'm assuming they're not necessary; check the REG 320 for the four requirements. The other day I saw a moped rider with a motorized bicycle plate without turn signals, so I guess it's okay.

As for electric, the motor has to be under 1,000 watts, and not capable of more than 20 mph to be exempt from licensing. Else, you need to jump through the same hoops as for a gas engine.
__________________
-Herman

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." -Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by Can Harm Hen; 11-11-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 AM
vja4Him vja4Him is offline
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CA. Law Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can Harm Hen View Post
Sending in a REG 320 with $16 will get you a license plate. There's nothing about lights or horns, so I'm assuming they're not necessary; check the REG 320 for the four requirements. The other day I saw a moped rider with a motorized bicycle plate without turn signals, so I guess it's okay.

As for electric, the motor has to be under 1,000 watts, and not capable of more than 20 mph to be exempt from licensing. Else, you need to jump through the same hoops as for a gas engine.
What state are you in? I read through the law (yikes!), and it seems a bit ambiguous still ... As you said, there wasn't any mention of having tail lights, brake lights and signal lights for a motorized bicycle.

I believe the price increases 50 cents every year, and is up to $17.50 for 2008. So for 2009, the price will be $18.00, and add another 50 cents for every year thereafter ...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Can Harm Hen's Avatar
Can Harm Hen Can Harm Hen is offline
Motorized Bicycle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Davis, California
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CA. Law Info

I'm in California too. I'm seriously considering applying for the plate, now that I have a M1 endorsement on my license. I don't know about fee increases, but it looks like the registration fee is now $17: Vehicle Registration and Vessel Fees
__________________
-Herman

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." -Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by Can Harm Hen; 11-11-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Can Harm Hen's Avatar
Can Harm Hen Can Harm Hen is offline
Motorized Bicycle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Davis, California
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CA. Law Info

I just turned up this piece of vehicle code: V.C. Section 24015 - Motorized Bicycle: Safety and Equipment Requirements

It turns out we do indeed need to have a headlight, tail light, and a horn.
__________________
-Herman

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." -Elbert Hubbard
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Sponsors

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
MotorBicycling.com