Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Mechanical Components > Lighting and Electrical

Lighting and Electrical Things that go ZOT! Ignition components, batteries, lighting and accessories for your motorized bicycle

99cc predator juice any ideas yet ?

Things that go ZOT! Ignition components, batteries, lighting and accessories for your motorized bicycle

Old 05-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Cool 99cc predator juice any ideas yet ?

im currently quite comfortable with my battery to fog light situation but was wandering if anyones experiminted with gathering power from the 99cc yet i know some work was done on trying to get it from the 49cc with some sucess was just seeing what you guys have come up with.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=34006 Link to INFIDEL 99cc predator build
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39541Link to Recumbent golden eagle build
Old 05-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: 99cc predator juice any ideas yet ?

I saw this really ghetto setup on youtube the guy gutted a crank emergency light and took the small generator head from it then positioned on the wheel kinda like a reverse tension drive set up it wouldnt pump a lot of juice but you could use the idea with a bigger motor/generator

Last edited by HillbillyScientist; 05-15-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

I am starting to wonder myself. I dont have a predator of my own (yet) but I know they do come with a built in killswitch right on the engine, and also have other wires coming off the engine. so the other wires must be there for a reason? perhaps someone should use a fluke meter and see what they put out.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Banned

I know this thread is a few months old now, but it took me this long to come up with an idea. The wires connected to the low oil sensor, perhaps they produce some sort of useable current? I'm determined to find out, as I would really like to run my headlight off my engine if possible on my upcoming 98cc build. Perhaps someone could figure this out?
Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

The wire to the kill switch should carry whatever voltage the primary winding on the magneto generates, since it "kills" the engine by grounding that. It's quite light wiring, so the amperage can't be much. I plan to put a voltmeter on mine the next time I start the engine.

The output will be AC and the voltage will increase as the engine speed does. Run it through a bridge rectifier (a $6 part) and into a battery and it should charge....how much will depend on the amperage.

I will be using LEDs for the rear lights on my build (very low power usage). Whether an LED headlight is feasible I do not know.

You won't need much of a battery to run only lights, especially if the charging output can keep up. A sealed lead-acid or lithium ion battery of the sort used to power kiddie cars should be plenty.

Since the magneto uses permanent magnets, I don't know if using it as a charger will put an additional load on the engine. I have an old motorcycle with a 6 volt electrical system (6 volt, 4 AH battery) and no electric start. Switching all of the lights on puts enough load on the engine that I have to keep the idle speed higher than I would prefer or it will stall at every stop sign.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 PM

I've been using a friction dynamo and scooter rectifier for awhile now with great success.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

That's what I was thinking--a 12-volt "bicycle generator". Mind, as my build is more than slightly whimsical, I have considered mounting a generator on the back and attaching a wind turbine fan to it. Once I'm moving, the blades should spin fast enough to turn a generator. Mind, that might slow the bike down. But it would look hilarious.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:38 AM

My charging system peaks at about 18VDC, don't know if that matters to the fan or not.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:16 AM

It may also be possible, according to another forum member, to build a separate coil out of a wall transformer (wall charger for batteries, etc) and if you can find a way to mount it where the existing coil goes, use that as a generator for charging batteries. I'm going to experiment with it, and if it goes well, I'll let you all know.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:18 AM

I just ordered this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GX160-...6d02f8&vxp=mtr it's a Honda gx charging coil. I'm going to see if I can make it fit my 98cc engine and see how good it works. For $10 with free shipping, it was worth the gamble. I fried my 3rd friction generator this week and I'm tired of going through them at $20 a pop, so this is a more permanent solution at half the cost if it works.