too many choices

GoldenMotor.com

commuter

Oct 3, 2008
Hello,

I live in IL and commute 15miles each way to work and home pedaling a bicycle. I have been doing this for 5yrs now using different bikes depending on riding conditions.

I started doing the commute riding an aluminum mongose full suspension mtb i picked up at wally world for 250 and put slicks on it. A few months riding it and I was clipped by a car and that bike was wasted. From just those few months the bike had already started to develop wear issues so I replaced it with a GT zaskar I built up using xtr components.

I rode that bike for a year or so until I came across a deal on a litespeed roadie and started riding it. What an amazing difference that was. After riding that bike I was hooked.

I started buying frames, building bikes, have ridden in a couple races, and have really gotten into the sport. Now I have a "bike shed" for my bikes with boxes of parts and frames hanging in it.

My problem now is my body is showing what 150 - 250 miles per week in the saddle for 5yrs will do to it. So as a birthday present to myself I picked up a 67/80cc motor kit for days when my body screams at me not to pedal. Now the only question is what frame to put it on.

I have a couple mtb frames, a couple road frames, a tt frame, and a few others hanging in the shed. They are all top end frames made using various materials.

So I came to this forum in search of knowledge and good advice on what to do and where to go. From what I have read on here already I have full confidence I will get both.

Nice to meet you all!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
the kit is easy to move after you get it past that first install. I have had mine on three bikes already so I would say start with the biggest heavies steal frame you have laying around. Remember weight isn't a big deal since you won't be muscling around often.

I usually convert the crank set to a small set, then go with a 20" rear wheel. It is much easier for me to swing my fat butt over. It also gives a nice low gearing for starting at the lights without the need to change gears. That is just my personal preference though.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
If you are young I would go with a Huffy MTN bike. If your old like me a cruiser fits the bill. Deacon is right, steel is better for our needs. Welcome to THE forum. So glad to have you. (c)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi commuter, welcome. What has already been said is good advice. For a daily trip that long, I would add as much suspension as possible, seat post and forks and big fat tires help big time. A mtb frame with cruiser handle bars is what I find to be the best for practical reasons but personally prefer cruiser frames for ascetics. After you get her fitted out, you will suddenly have all sorts of thoughts. It's half the fun. Post pics! Great to meet ya