Simplicity = reliability....100 mi. so far

GoldenMotor.com

mazdog355

Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I like keeping things simple, so my goal was to motorize this baby with as few moving parts as possible ->> I came up with the idea of welding the original front rim to the rear rim, using it as a pulley. There's no clutch on the engine, so I used a tensioner idler pulley on the slack side of the pulley to engage the drive (Got the idea from my old roto-tiller).

with just over $200 into the project, i feel pretty proud that it works so well.

Lifan 97cc. engine...stripped

Make some room...

mazdog355

Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin

Close-up of the tranny.

As it sits now with 100 mi. on it. I noticed the rear tire seems almost half wore out already, and is cracked from sitting over the winter...Any ideas on a good wearing tire for this?

Named her Tweety yesterday, think i'm gonna paint the frame flat yellow, the engine flat black...Mount the tank behind the seat, any thoughts?

Rode it over 70 miles last weekend, what a blast.dance1

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Maz,
Lookin good...
I too do the 'rim to rim' pulley system (on 3 of my MB's now)
All holding up real well with lots of miles ...
-Lowracer-

mazdog355

Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I kept the original governor on the engine, it runs at only 3600 rpm. max, so right now speed is limited to about 27 mph...decent cruising speed on a bicycle.
I plan on riding about 60 miles tomorrow, it's supposed to be sunny and 60F.usflg

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
impressive.scratch built.gotta love it.
ever consider a serpentine belt?
pulley could be adapted from an alternator,the ribs would grab on the flat wheel nicely.
would be a little less drag with a serpentine.
i have been running one on my lathe since the leather one gave out.
this forum clearly proves the possibilities are endless.
great work.