Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: The definitive break-in procedure thread.

Kart racers break in their newly jugged 50-125cc engines usually within one practice session of 25 minutes or so. The big concern is getting the rings to seat well.
KTM50 Schwinn Chopper - 6000W E-Motard - 52cc Auger BMX - 9sp+CVT 52cc Cagllari Moped
Old 04-02-2013, 12:44 AM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Originally Posted by 2door
I have to concur. When I first started with this hobby I tried to follow the manufacturer's recommended break-in procedures with my first engine.

Not anymore. They get rode hard and put away wet, right out of the box. And you know what? All of my later engines have performed much better than the first one that got treated softly. Never had an engine/bearing/piston/ etc. failure of any kind.

Ever see a woodsman baby his new chainsaw? Ever see a yardman running his new weedwhacker at 1/2 throttle? Bet ya ain't.

Could not have said it any better.
Ride it hard and put it up wet.
40+ years of two stroke riding, tuning, racing and generally messing with every kind rind dinger you can think of, from tiny rc glow engines to huge industrial and marine two stroke diesel powerplant engines.
Owners manuals don't care HOW your engine runs, just HOW LONG your engine runs. They totally overdo their instructions to reduce warranty returns from inexperienced users.
Any real two-stroke old timer will tell you the same thing.
At least the fast ones...

I want to find any weak parts right away, not 75 miles from the house.
If more is better, then too much is just enough.
If you can't afford it, build it yourself.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Oh boy not another break in thread... : )

I agree; my engines get driven as I am going to ride them from the very beginning. Now I do have to say that a lot of high rpm isn't great before the parts sit but full throttle is fine.

I have a massive 5 mile hill/loop which is great for breaking in... full throttle but not high rpm. You can FEEL the rings wearing in perfectly against the cylinder when you drive up it.

I run non synthetic cheap oil for break in at 24-1 for break in. Once broken in I switch to 32-1 red line synthetic but some say thats a lot... I like a lot of oil! -MOTO