Newb to the thread, but not the bikes.

GoldenMotor.com

T13

Mar 19, 2012
New York
Hi guys, my name is Tom, I'm 18 and I live in Ithaca. I've browsed the threads for ages and picked up a lot of information here. I am about to begin my third build and decided to finally join up with the ranks of the MB forum.
-My first build was a 66cc 2stroke on a very old steel frame Raleigh that my dad pulled out of a dumpster many years ago. This bike got me around everywhere for the several years I used it before I was old enough to get my driver's license. I put some serious miles on that bike. It's about 6 years old and running strong, although it was given to a friend a couple years back.
mods: red high-heat painted cylinder cover, storage containers
-2nd build was given to a friend, It was a 66cc 2stroke springer fork Shwinn cruiser.
-My 3rd build is going to be a 66cc 2stroke on my trusty Walmart single speed (laugh if you want, I tuned it up myself and put it through awful conditions and its been a workhorse its whole career) Also it has my 20inch springer banana seat on it which I think will look great with the kit on.

I have parts ordered and should be receiving them by Thursday or Friday. After my bad experiences on the first bike with a bum chain, and the second bike with a faulty carb/broken throttle assembly, I ordered an extra carb, throttle assy, and better quality chain (with a breaker, I used a hammer and dull nail to pop out the pin in the links for the last two chains (same method works for watch links btw..with smaller nails))

Because I know some of the faults of these things already, I want to ask the wisdom of the community here for a couple of tips.

1. Has anyone had any experience with the inner engine sound deadening foil like Sick Bike Parts sells here http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=140&osCsid=bdd0bif8s6kn3l562h9g477tq2
Is this stuff any good? Is it bad for your engine performance/lifetime? Is there a cheap alternative like auto sound deadener?

2. Does anyone know a good source for alternative gas tanks (not too pricey...okay cheap...) or a way to reliably make one. I'm pretty crafty and willing to put the work in if I can keep the price waay down. I was never fond of the top tank that the kits come with but I am working with a college budget.

3. I once found a thread where somebody posted an alternative chain tensioner that was very inexpensive. I have searched and cannot find this thing. It was springloaded for tension and was less than $15, if I recall it was 12.99 or something close to that. I think it was meant for tractors or something. I have seen some others but they are a bit pricey...

4. What is a good alternative to the gas line that comes with the kit. Mine rotted up on me on my first bike and it was a pain to replace. Is there something at the hardware store that you can buy by the ft.? If so, does anybody know if they make this kind of tubing in the style with the steel or nylon mesh on it for added strength? also is there a preferred type of fuel filter?

After all my many mishaps and frustrations with motorbicycles, my overall experience has erred much more on the positive side. I look forward to the mishaps and frustrations ahead, although I hope I can avoid those I have already faced.

Personal favorite MOD of all time:
1st build, after hundreds of laborious miles of duty, the bottom cap of my muffler violently blasted off at top speed and was run over by a truck. My bike was incredibly loud and annoying to me, let alone the neighbors.
I went to my local bodega and picked up a can of sardines in marinara for 59cents(the can that looks like a tiny soup can, not the peel up tin). I opened it, dumped out the contents, poked some holes in the bottom, packed the muffler with steel wool and hose-clamped the can over the end of the muffler. It as quieter than ever before, and I even felt I had more power, or less vibration at least.

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Ti3... Hi Tom... sounds like you have a good beginning in Motor assisted Bikes. I'll give you what I know for the questions you asked. #1 ... The sound deadener. I haven't used the stuff from SBP that you asked about, but its probably the easiest, and least noticable. I cut up some dense foam and glued it to the outside of the clutch cover, and it worked great. If you put your hand on the clutch cover when the motor is running, you'll notice it doesn't take much. Maybe as little as using undercoating spray on the inside. I wanted to cover up the Skyhawk logo so I did the foam outside then painted it. #2... The gas tank. My first motorized bicycle has a rear tank from a Honda commercial engine. It holds 1.3 gal. and sits in a home made rear rack. The tank was free from a junked out motor. My 2nd motorized bicycle, I did an in frame, home made 1.33 gal. tank. Cost was only time and welding gas, and paint. Total time was about 2 weeks. The metal was from a scrapped out pressure tank (FREE ). There are people on the site who make tanks, some cutom made for your bike, some cylindrical to hang from the seat, and some for a rear rack. I can't afford them but they look great. #3 Chain tensioner. I think you are referring to one carried by Tractor Supply stores. Check there. #4 Gas line. I found some nice see-through yellow gas line at Fleet Supply (similar to Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply ) in the chainsaw/mower section, and they carry it in 8 different sizes --$2.89 per ft. --- also got the filter there. Unless you plan on hanging your bike up by the fuel line, I can't see a need for anything stronger, although for a particular 'look', you might want to.

Attachments

T13

Mar 19, 2012
New York
So I have a couple of updates. The first, is that I have completed my third build! The second is that I used a completely different bike than I planned to. Instead of the Walmart fixie, I used a vintage Schwinn Varsity that I picked up from an antique shop in complete disrepair. After hours upon hours of work, she was cleaned up and rideable, and now, after hours upon hours of more work, I no longer have to pedal :) . I'm running the stock setup, so far so good.

Attachments