Pan Am Bike Tour for My Son and Me

GoldenMotor.com

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Karls Mom ... (Hi Karl) If you are serious about taking this trip to Bolivia, I want you to know that I wish you all the best that can happen. I've had a couple of travel adventures myself, and came through them with renewed faith in my limited abilities, and also in the friends I didn't know I had until something went wrong and they stepped up to help. If you do all the planning and anticipating you can, things do have a way of coming together for the good. There are people all across the USA who work on bicycles and motorized equipment, and I'll bet most of the countries you'll be traveling through have bicycles and motorized stuff that gets repaired all the time. Most people wouldn't even think of taking a trip like you're planning, but if someone has the time and equipment, and the determination to try it, it could be a wonderful adventure. Some of the members here are concerned about it and want to make sure you understand the pitfalls that can happen before they encourage you to start something you may regret. I'm convinced that once they know you understand how trying it could be, they will be as helpful as possible. If we all put our imaginations to work, I'll bet we could come up with the perfect transportation for your trip. We need to know what bike/bikes you'll be using, if you'll be camping or staying in motels, your est. of weight in your trailer, if you plan on other people going along with you, and if so do they want motorized bikes as well, and any other info you can provide us. Please keep posting as this would be an excellant adventure and a grand opportunity to come up with a dependable long range motorized bike. These bikes aren't that difficult to work on and you've got time to learn as much as possible.

.crt..we.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
Dude, you are giving her bad advice by encouraging her that she can be ready for this trip in a couple months. I am sorry, but thats the way I see it. There is just no way that anyone could realistically think they could build their first motorized bike and be ready for a 4000 mile trip in two months. When I built my first bike, there were days I couldnt get across town with my motor, and I couldnt always figure out why right away. I for one will NOT be helping or encouraging her to make this trip right now. If she waits till next year, then I will say go for it. but not right now.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yes there are people who work on bycycles and motorized equipment, but I know most bicycle shops wont work on motorized bikes because of insurance purposes. If someone brings their motorized bike into a shop, and they get hurt after having work done on it, the shop can be liable, and they are too afraid of that happening. I have been told that by more than one shop in more than one city.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
That's true about the bike shops. If you're going to do this, partner up with somebody who has gone on long trips. Two motorized bikes pulling a trailer each is better than one bike pulling two. Try a couple of 50 - 100 mile trips first to break in your motor and work out any bugs. I hope this isn't some bucket list thing for you where time isn't on your side. I'd like to make a long trip my self a year from now when my treatments are over with. With all that being said please go get your drivers license. You tend to have less problems with the law if your bike is a registered and insured vehicle in a state. This way if you cause a wreck then it can be paid for. If my memory serves me correctly you can't pull somebody in a trailer behind you. That's why I said you should consider a two seated trike. Or a very small custom built side car. I've got tail, brake and signal lights on my bike. This is for my own personal safety not because I'm required to have them. I don't want somebody flying around me when I'm slowing down to turn left on a two lane road. I also have seven function speedometer, tachometer/hour counter, horn, three setting head light, kill switch, see through gas tank, mirrors, cable lock, U lock, pump, water bottle, basket and tool bag. I've even gone as far as putting a light on my helmet. I hope this has helped some.

Last edited: