Project "Freespirit" first build

GoldenMotor.com

planetcaravan03

Mar 16, 2012
Urbana Il.
Hello all,
Name is Paul. Live in Champaign-Urbana Il. This is my first build. Well third build, this is the first finished and reliably ridden build. The first bike was a Genesis 29 mountain bike, awesome bike but, terrible bike for a first build. Second bike was a Schwinn Southport. What a piece, lasted one and a half trips roughly 16 miles before the frame broke.
Now to the Freespirit. I mechanically rebuilt it, replaced the cottered crank with a square-tapered crank to take care of the offset problem with the original crank. Put a folding basket, Schwinn computer(basic), and mounted a U-lock earlier today.
It is a fun ride and have learned quite a bit about basic bicycle maintence .
Her she is......

Attachments

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
That looks like a really nice build! Great job not giving up! If you haven't heard you will notice greater power once the rings set in after about 2-3 tanks of fuel. Welcome to the MB world!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Glad you're enjoying your build.
I'm curious however. Where did the frame crack on the Southport? It's the same bike as the Jaguar, they just changed the color scheme and renamed it, and there have been many successful Jaguars as well as Southports built by members here.
I'm sure all of them would be interested in knowing where yours broke and see photos if possible.
Tom

Last edited:

planetcaravan03

Mar 16, 2012
Urbana Il.
Welcome to the forum. Glad you're enjoying your build.
I'm curious however. Where did the frame crack on the Southport? It's the same bike as the Jaguar, they just changed the color scheme and renamed it, and there have been many successful Jaguars as well as Southports built by members here.
I'm sure all of them would be interested in knowing where yours broke and see photos if possible.
Tom
The frame broke on the chainstay, right before the rear derailuer. I wish I would have taken photos. I have a finished photo of the Southport. I started all gung-ho on photo documenting this project with the Genesis. But the frustration involved with that build plus the fact I really needed transportation asap. I quit taking photos.

The Southport was a nice comfortable bike. I probably just got a bad egg. It happens.

Paul

Attachments