Old dog learns new trick...Welding!

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
He's very right about leaving the welder running between welds and I'll tell you why. It was a hot day when I was welding and I thought it would be a good idea to turn the welder off. It was like 4-6 minutes between welds. After a bit the welder shut down and would not run again. I took to Norco to get it fixed. When they called me about what was wrong they told me it was the thermosistor, a device that shuts down a overheated welder but in my case I fried it. They told me they could replace or bypass the circut. I had them bypass it, figured I could run it normal and it would be ok. When I went to pick it up I was stunned at what they wanted for the cut and splice job...$160!!! I should have told them to stuff it but I paid them and vowed to NEVER go back. Yes, it did work but I could have got a new one from Harbor Freight for that. I buy my welding supplies form OxArc, ACE, and where ever else. Lowest price for flux core wire right now is Lowes', $44 for a 10 lb spool of flux core.

The welder is still running, in fact I'll be useing it here in a few days to start welding on my bike :)
==========

I'd in the past got a thermal fuse to replace in a hair dryer that my dad had given to me explaining that it had fried, but not the heater coils or the motor. Since I live in Silicon Valley, CA I was able to get one for about 5$, so I am not sure why some professional didn't have access to a replacement part.

Anyway the part in your welder may have fused and prevented the transformer part from damage which is good, but I can understand how you feel about the repair guy.

MT

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Good to know about leaving the welder running in breaks from the welding action to allow it to cool. Had not known that and was shutting it off when I needed to do some side grinder work. At the end of a session is it a good idea to leave it on for a bit?
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes it is a good idea but it depends on how much welding you are doing and if it is steady or just spoting. Steady needs to cool spoting? It also depends on were you are welding outside gets plenty of air. This is were you have to be carefull with sheilding gass the wind blowes it away if it is strong. Also if it cold outside the gas will get sort of stiff and will not flow when it gets down to 30 degrees F. I have had my Lincoln SP100 for close to 30 years ( one of the first ones has a small tip you can't get any more) I have never had a problum with cool down...............Curt

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks Curt.
I'll be sure to let it cool off after any real welding.
How goes your summer? The mosquitoes are now out for blood after all the rain and now a warm up.
I got the Panther back together and running. No leaks from the gas tank. Sure is nice being able to weld up something like that gas tank and being able to make the frame repair. I mentioned that I tack welded the steel center kick stand to the frame which is a big improvement as no matter how much I tightened it, it wanted to loosen up and change position on me. Not any more... I also welded large washers onto the ends of the legs so that they have "feet" now. Much better as they don't tend to sink into softer ground. The welder has already contributed a lot to this build alone.
Sounds like you got your money's worth out of your old Lincoln.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hi SB summer going crazy with all the rain put my dock under water and the beach is still not all dry. Can't do anything at night mosoquitos will carrie you away. Will be getting the mosoquito beater stuff that fits on the garden hose it is supose to work good. Can't take it the way it is. After our 50th this weekend I can get some more done on your forks so you can finish the bike. I have been fallowing the builds in between all the work and it is looking realy good. I told you a couple years ago you could weld sure glad you got a welder now. You are progresing good and your tank looks awesome. Yep the old Lincoin still going strong. I was going to upgrade but you can't buy the small tip end anymore so will use it till it pucks. Steve will be there soon so you two have a good summer try some of that spray were you are working..................Curt

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
SB looks like youre getting a grip on the welding thing. As long as a weld penetrates it will hold if its ugly thats what they made grinders for. but its nice when you get pretty the first time , quicker too...... Rick p.s. bikes lookin good

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Got the engine installed after making new rails for the engine mounts. I raised the engine an inch from where it had been so that I could use a normal sized pedal crank (better leverage on the coaster brake and easier to pedal if I ever need to). And it allowed me to install the original feather chain guard. I set up an old 6 volt sidewall generator to power the lights. It has been sitting for many years and I found it on a bike which had been outside in the weather for years, so I was pleased that it works. I have a nine LED cluster in the honker headlight, modified from a dune buggy light from Harbor Freight. Tail light is tucked under the end of the rear rack and is a shorty copper jewel light with 9 LEDs inside, quite bright. I only engage the generator if I'm riding at night.

I added a heavier oil to the front suspension and it is firmer now and better. This 1950 Panther frame is my favorite of any bikes I've had. It feels adult sized... feels right for me as a six foot 200 pound circus bear. I love this gas tank. The 99cc Predator is the right size for power and just fits into the frame. Transmission is smooth and pretty quiet. I will probably change the rear sprocket to a larger one when the bike gets the canoe sidecar attached. I'll be interested to see what effect it has on handling, hill climbing, etc. It will probably feel like a whole different bike to get used to.

Well, without that welder and the little I now know about welding the bike would not be as it is, so I'm grateful for having learned at least the rudiments of a new trick. Woohoo!
SB

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear,
Now that I have the Monark and sidecar sorted out I was very pleasantly surprised that the bike and the sidecar handled so well. It didn't track to one side or the other. Just straight down the road.
Our street has a slight but steady rise from one end to the other and it climbed without problem and going back down the road it was rock steady at a good 20+ miles an hour.

One interesting thing was coming back down the street and turning in to the driveway past the Ditch of Disaster in front of the house I hit the brakes for the first time at speed and it became quite evident in a nano second that the disc brake on the sidecar was much more powerful than the front drum brake.
This will be helpful when making right hand turns. No need to turn the front wheel just hit the sidecar brake and you will be turning right.

I really think that you and Moosh, Wonder dog of the North will enjoy the sidecar.

Your bike is looking super. Is there a sidecar in it's future?

Just reread your post. Yes there is.

Steve.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Steve,
That's good to hear your sidecar experiences. Your Hobart welder will again come into play modifying the sidecar frame to fit the Panther. I'm hoping that will be one of the first projects. My sidecar wheel has a Worksman drum brake the same size as the Worksman drum brake on the bike, so the braking should be pretty evenly matched. I have not given much thought yet to how to run the cable from the brake lever all the way to the front wheel on the sidecar. That's quite a length. Might need some kind of union mid way. Something to ponder as you wander from Vancouver to northeastern Minnesota. Safe journey, my friend.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear,
That shouldn't be a problem. Mine goes about the same length and as I said works great. Maybe a little to good but that is the disc I think.

The sidecar will be the first thing out of the box for certain. I was very surprised that the rig was as solid as it is. Almost forgot the sidecar was there other than with my sense of balance I didn't fall over.

Looking forward to seeing yours going down the road. All we have to do is figure just what thickness of foam to put in the sidecar when we upholster it with the plush Royal Purple Velvet for Moosh. Button tufted of course with gold trim. :)

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Gearnut,
Thank you, sir.

Steve,
The old elk hide cushions will be good enough for Aaniimoosh. It will be something new for her to get used to, but she will. I think she'll appreciate not having the exhaust pipe as close as it was with her trailer. And I can reach down to give her a pat on the head at stop signs. She's a good little biking buddy. Don't forget to bring her cookies.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear,
So the big cushion with the gold tassels to match the sidecar interior and the airconditioning she mentioned are not in the loop either?

Cookies have been selected and packed. :)

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The way the engine platformed was attached I tried getting a close up and I think it is clamped on, or is it?

Howed you arrive at how the platform was made or purchased?

Thanks,

MT

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
MT,
The photos below should help clarify what I did. Not shown are the end pieces from a standard kit mounting plate. I found the kit plate to not be long enough for the predator engine so I used the end pieces and made up angle iron rails. The holes for the engine are slotted to allow for some lateral adjustment and the long slots on the sides which bolt to the end pieces allow some forward and backward adjustment. I should have taken pictures which also showed the end pieces. If it still isn't clear I can take a couple more pictures. Seems to work well enough and uses what I had.
SB

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Thanks SB

The clamps are part of a kit, but you made adaption on the engine plate part of the kit.

Looks quite nice and clean a build!

MT