Magrider built an Italian

GoldenMotor.com

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
It’s been a busy off season for me. I built my brother his 4 stroke racer, and I am working like crazy to finish my new build, the ‘Morini Franco Motori’ racer. Specifically built to race in Southern California this year.

I started with a cruiser frame from Craigs, Stretched the front triangle 3”, chopped the seat tube 3”, and shortened the rear triangle 3”. Fabricated horizontal dropouts out of ¼” stock. Hopefully I will have this Italian ready to race at the first Bairdco race in March, we'll see, times a ticking.

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Good job on the placements brackets and mounts Mag but what's the bracket on the rear arm for?
You know I'll be keeping a close eye on this build. :)

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I got a lot of stuff done today. Easy, the bracket is for the silencer.

I installed the hydraulic EBR ‘made in Italy’ racing forks. Front and rear ‘made in Italy’ Puch sealed bearing mag wheels, Hutchenson tires, Clipons that were extended 3”, kx85 aluminum racing radiator, sealed bearing bottom bracket, and the ‘Italian’ water cooled 11HP Franco Morini engine.

I can’t wait to fire this bike up……. -magrider-

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I got a lot of stuff done today. Easy, the bracket is for the silencer.

I installed the hydraulic EBR ‘made in Italy’ racing forks. Front and rear ‘made in Italy’ Puch sealed bearing mag wheels, Hutchenson tires, Clipons that were extended 3”, kx85 aluminum racing radiator, sealed bearing bottom bracket, and the ‘Italian’ water cooled 11HP Franco Morini engine.

I can’t wait to fire this bike up……. -magrider-
Looking hella sweet Mag!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Oh man this is a hella sweet serious bike! I am jealous.. I love it!:D This bike will be freaky fast. You are always doing very clean work on your builds. This one raises the bar a bit(^)

I like the way you have set up the whole thing. The radiator is different? Hows the out side clearance? That motor looks very roomy in there. Best disk brake ever! I can tell you have been thinking about this one. lol.

Last edited:

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Thank you for the positive feedback!

The radiator sticks out 5" from the frame, so it shouldn't be a problem. I will install the pipe, silencer, controls, front and rear brake tomorrow, the rotors are 1/4" thick and they will be powered by moped/ scooter hydraulic calipers and levers. -magrider-

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I finished assembly today and fired it up, it fired up after 2 kicks which was awesome. It is weird kick starting a bike forward, especially after kick starting bike rearward my whole life, its going to take a lot of getting used too.

I had to do a clutch adjustment and take some washers out, and did a few laps around the block, needless to say I am very pleased with this bike. I have 3 weeks to continue breaking it in, and hopefully I will have enough time to tune it, and I still have to go through my china bike and get it ready for the next race.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The bike came out super Mag! I like how you wrapped the pipe as well as the silencer. Its going to be cool having another Morini in the mix!

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
thank you, I'm still breaking it in so I don't know what the top speed is. I'm sure I can gear it to go as fast as I want, Being that it is for racing I'm going to target it to go 45 mph.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
If an old fat person like me can hang with the Big Boys like Scotto and Ice...I'm pretty sure a lean aggressive but smooth racer like Mag should dominate! brnot

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
thanks again everyone. The seat is a Polini 'made in Italy'. I'm getting used to the Cent. Clutch. I will ride as good as I can, hopefully it will be ready by March 17.

Nipash

Jul 31, 2011
Washington
great clean looking bike!!! I especially like the wheels. Just interested though how you got a sprocket for the pedal chain attached to the rear hub next to the brake. It would be really cool to start using motorcycle wheels for MB's because you would have sprockets and brake mount built in without having to dink around with a jackshaft or a custom hub.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
great clean looking bike!!! I especially like the wheels. Just interested though how you got a sprocket for the pedal chain attached to the rear hub next to the brake. It would be really cool to start using motorcycle wheels for MB's because you would have sprockets and brake mount built in without having to dink around with a jackshaft or a custom hub.
The hub is threaded for a bmx type freewheel from the factory