Should engine stay running with clutch in

GoldenMotor.com

fraser

Feb 11, 2012
Vancouver
So the engine runs fine while in gear but when I pull in the clutch it stalls out.
Should I adjust the idle screw. If so can you tell me about how many turns out from all the way in.

Thanks

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
So the engine runs fine while in gear but when I pull in the clutch it stalls out.
Should I adjust the idle screw. If so can you tell me about how many turns out from all the way in.

Thanks
I can't guess what you are working on, but yes the engine should keep running like a car when you push the clutch peddle down. If you have a NT carburetor, all will be different (idle turns) and you just have to experiment with it.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yah, it really should...
But it's not a perfect world, and a chinagirl is not the date of anyone's dreams. :)

These kitbikes are not meant to sit there for a long period of time, idling at a stoplight.
Mine will, with the clutch pulled in, on the button, for a bit...
But I usually shut down and expect a quick re-start in a few pedals.
Most the time, it does! :)

and that way, I hope to keep people convinced I'm REALLY riding a bicycle!

IMO, if u get your clutch adjusted properly for this feat, and the carb to co-operate, it won't be too long before all that changes, and you'll need to re-adjust everything again.

No biggie, but I'd rather just ride...

Best
rc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We always ask that questions like this give us some information to work with. What engine? What carburetor?

Any engine should idle with the clutch disengaged. If it doesn't you might need to adjust either the clutch cable(manual clutch) or the idle speed screw (if you have the NT carb). Can you be a little more specific about what you have?
Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It took me a little bit to get my clutch adjusted just the way I like it. The idle I have to play around with now & then. Especially if there was a dramatic change in temperature from the time I last rode to the present day. Change in temperature = change in air density = change in bike temperament. A couple twists this way or that on the idle screw usually keeps me in business.

bikeman8

Mar 12, 2012
ofallon mo
i bought the mega motors 66cc engine with a straight plug

i recieved a silver engine with a slant plug and eagles on the grips.

not sure what kind it is.

my carb has 4 holes on the bottom side.

it runs grea, when my mufflers welds dont break

but when i push in the clutch it dies.

how do i fix this?

i read about the idle screw thing.

where is it at??

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
i bought the mega motors 66cc engine with a straight plug

i recieved a silver engine with a slant plug and eagles on the grips.

not sure what kind it is.

my carb has 4 holes on the bottom side.

it runs grea, when my mufflers welds dont break

but when i push in the clutch it dies.

how do i fix this?

i read about the idle screw thing.

where is it at??
Have no idea what push means to you. Pull on the clutch handle is clutch disengaged (like neutral), Release handle the clutch is engaged (like riding the bike down the street).

No matter weather you pull on the handle or release it the engine should run without dieing. Adjust the idle with the handle pulled in and locked. If that isn't your problem then clutch adjustment is needed.