New rider

GoldenMotor.com

Thermax292

Feb 2, 2012
Florida
I just purchased my first motorized bike with a 66 skyhawk motor. I'm not use to the way they ride and was wondering if its alright for it to be kind of jerky with running at low speeds. The engine and drive train is noisy but seems to be working alright. I just notice the somewhat rough ride. I first thought it was my front wheel being out of round but when I press in the clutch it smooth's out. I thought it might be just the way a small engine tries to sync with the drive train that makes it jerky?? I also notice that I need to sometimes add a little choke so help get it up to top speeds, sometimes not. Thanks

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
How low a speed are we talking? At very low speed you need to pedal as well or the engine is not turning fast enough to develop torque. Often times they are jerky because the back sprocket is not centered.

Thermax292

Feb 2, 2012
Florida
I kind of thought I was going to slow and the engine may be on the verge of stalling causing the bucking. On the high end sometimes I have to add a little choke to get it up to full speed, once its there I don't need the choke anymore. I'll check the chain alignment tomorrow. Thanks

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
If you have to add a little choke sometimes you should probably look for an air leak. If you search on the forums here you will see how to find an air leak and also how dangerous one can be for your motor.

Thermax292

Feb 2, 2012
Florida
I saw a video on YouTube showing a guy adjusting the carburetor with the red filter cap. He said to turn the mixture screw all the way in and than turn it back out one turn and leave it there. Is that the right way to adjust it? Thanks