Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default motor kit options

Hi All,
I just got a new bike and want to outfit it with a motor. It is daunting looking at all of the options for motors. My first thought was do I get a gas or electric motor kit? I am leaning towards gas. It came with Shimano automatic gear system built into both wheel hubs. I am wondering if I need to switch out the gearing ststem before motorizing. Also, if I didn't have to switch it out than that makes it so that I couldn't get an electric motor kit or would at least limit my options because of most of them being in the wheel hub. I guess in asking for advice I should mention some about my bike & how I would use it. It is a *Schwinn Nancy women's coasting bike. The woman I bought it from bought it from someone else 3 years ago. It is just like this one and even has a Performance bicycle sticker on it.
It also has a retro peddle brake system which I would want to either convert to a hand brake system or at least supplement with a hand brake. What type of brakes are normally used when motorizing? I live in a flat land area, but would like to be able to do hills (I live in the Bay Area and hills are a few blocks away). I also want to be able to make it into a cargo and/or passenger bike so the motor would have to be able to conquer a hill with a load (potentially). Also, I don't want to always be pedaling. I would like to be able to pedal with no motor use sometimes though. I also would just be doing a lot of around town riding. I am interested in a retro (maybe chrome finish or all black) looking motor kit or a small barely noticeable one. I like the hidden gas tank look too. I don't want to mount one on my frame. I have a rack on the rear. I am planning a mid mount/center mount child's bike seat & possible front or back mount additional seat (like a Dutch bike). I would almost always ride with my children with no motor except on a hill probably. I don't want to walk a bike with one or two kids on it up a hill. I need advice. Electric or gas? 2 stroke or 4 (if gas)? Friction or chain drive (if gas)? I would like advice on brands or models. I need advice on the gearing & braking systems too. I do like the bgf hongdu/solex engine (posted to that thread too). I wonder why the solex type engine on ebay won't ship to California. Any ideas why? Here it is:*
Thanks. If someone could at least help with even part of my inquiries I'd be excited. I have big plans for my bike. I literally just got it. I haven't even cleaned or tuned it yet. It looks like it doesn't need much replacement of parts & rides nice.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: motor kit options

I do like the bgf hongdu/solex engine (posted to that thread too). I wonder why the solex type engine on ebay won't ship to California. Any ideas why? Here it .............................

because its not certified for use in california
Live life as its your last day... it just may be
Learn to do it right or how to fix it later, quicker to do it right the first time.