Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Electric Bicycle Forum > DIY Electric Bicycle Hub Motors and Kits

DIY Electric Bicycle Hub Motors and Kits Electric motorized bicycle engine kits are clean, quiet, and efficient. Learn about electric bike range, speed and cost by sharing your experiences here.

Currie pedal assist addon?

Electric motorized bicycle engine kits are clean, quiet, and efficient. Learn about electric bike range, speed and cost by sharing your experiences here.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Currie pedal assist addon?

I just bought a used mountain bike with a Currie conversion kit on it. (This kit) I am not familiar with electrics as much as 2 strokes and have been unable to figure out if you can add a pedal assist feature to this kit.

Anyone familiar with these Currie conversion kits that can give me a yes or no as far as upgrading to the pas system?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Currie pedal assist addon?

Randy,
I'm not the expert on these though I own an ebike. What I do know is that 24V won't get you much speed or distance and are pretty weak with what's out there now.

Lead acid batteries are ok but kind of the Model T of the battery world.

I have a eZee 36 volt geared rear wheel with a 20 amp controller and a 36V 14 ampHr lithium polymer battery. Pretty much top end for the plug and play set up though you can go 48, 60V and 72V battery packs and hub motors and bigger controllers. My set up here in Canada was about $1,800. The company I bought it from is run by a young man who is a leading light for ebikes in the world. He's 30 miles away if I need help.

He's Justin at www.ebikes.ca Homepage of the revolution

Another company is www.emissionsfree.com The owner is British and has an out standing record for knowledge and product quality plus fair prices. He stands behind his product. He is based in China.

Most of all join www.endless-sphere.com. Go to the ebike discussion forum and the tech forum. Ask questions because these fellas know all there is to know about ebikes and are constantly pushing the envelope to see what else they can learn.
They will be able to tell you if you can get more out of your Currie and just how to do it.

Put Currie in the search panel on the top of the site. They do tend to be a little vocal if they feel you haven't tried to help yourself before they help you with the problem. It's good natured but they will make sure you get the point.

Hope this helps.

Steve.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 PM

IIRC that set up has the motor mounted on the left side, leaving the standard drive line unaffected.

The drive sprocket freewheels on the motor also.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 AM

Yes a PAS feature can be added for extra cost. It requires a pedal sensor, and an extra box. These can be bought from Currie.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM

I have searched all over the currie site and elsewhere and have yet to find them. Any chance you could give a link?

All I have been able to find is the one on Ebay. I sent a messge to Currie but never got a response.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:41 PM

https://www.curriestore.com/parts-ac...odel=EZ-TRZ-BK

You'll find all parts you'll need there. They almost made a liar out of me.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:49 PM

Thanks a lot NormO. Found the sensor (cheaper than ebay even) now just need to track down a controller For it.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 PM

You may not need another controller. It all depends if your controller that you have now has the connector for the PAS Sensor or not. Crack open the top of the rack and have a look. That completely slipped my mind.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:35 PM

Already checked, no go. Been searching for someone who has done this before but most just up to a bigger volt motor which requires a new controller.

Considering buying a second currie battery and wiring them together so I get 24v with 20 amp. Assuming it can be done, (pretty sure) I need a controller that can handle the amps?!?

Wish I knew more about electronics. Been browsing the endless sphere site randomly, just haven't read enough yet.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 PM

Well shot down again. Yes you can hook up 2 batteries in parallel. Have already done it. Works well. Doesn't give double the range, but is close. Seems to give the motor a little more snap off the bottom as well. But adds around 15lbs extra. Not a real big deal in the grand scheme of things. The controllers are rated at 35 amps.
You don't really have to get another controller to go to a higher voltage motor. The stock controllers can handle up to 50 volts before they won't operate correctly. But it has to be a brushed motor.

Last edited by NormO; 01-20-2012 at 08:54 PM.