Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Default Re: Completely new... Help?

The pedals are nessesary because the engines aren't very powerful & you still have to pedal the bike to get it rolling (& help it get up to speed); & also, if you remove the pedals, it's no longer a motorized bicycle... it's now a scooter & falls into a whole different catagory with the law.
For motorized bicycle sales, service & engine kits in Los Angeles, please visit us at-

Follow VMB on facebook>>>

Follow VMB on Instagram>>>
Old 12-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Thanks guys! thats really helpful. I keep yall updated on my decisions!

Thanks for everything guys
Old 12-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

I know I'm late to chime in, but I thought there might still be room to contribute.
- Re hills: how well your bike takes hills depends on 1) how you've geared the rear wheel, and 2) how powerful your engine actually is. For example, I have a 2-stroke HT that has been port matched and the carburettor has been tweaked and messed with. I run a 38T rear sprocket and I climb modest hills like they're not there, and some steeper ones - I just give her more gas.
- Re engines: that is very much a matter of personal preference. Go with what you know best and would rather have. If you're more comfortable working on 4-strokes, those may be easier for you. I find 2-strokes easier myself, but I can't say I've ever HAD to work on mine. I've done the usual "dialing in", changed a plug, etc. But mine's so durned reliable I've never needed to do any emergency stuff. Truthfully: my bike is more reliable than my Dodge Caravan, and that says a lot to me. Whichever you choose, you will find experienced help, support, and boatloads of knowledge here on this forum.
- Re helmets: I wasn't going to preach, really I wasn't. I just saw it wasn't mentioned and thought I'd bring it up. If you were to ask me, I would tell you I believe they work. There are conditions and circumstances where a helmet will save your life. But remember: it is, and always will be, your choice. If you choose one, get a good one - DOT certified at least. If not, hey, what can we say? You're an adult. You're entitled.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 12-11-2011 at 11:10 PM.