First Build Thread - BTR Inspired Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

Daft1Bake

Dec 12, 2011
Colorado
Hey everyone im new to all of this but just a quick question if any one can help. Can you put a bicycle motor on any bicycle? Im looking at a 20" Micargi Prince for the fact it looks cool but im wanting to put a motor on it for a neat little project but i dont if it will work because all of the motor kits i look at all say "Fits most 26"" so if anyone can help it would be cool thanks.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey everyone im new to all of this but just a quick question if any one can help. Can you put a bicycle motor on any bicycle? Im looking at a 20" Micargi Prince for the fact it looks cool but im wanting to put a motor on it for a neat little project but i dont if it will work because all of the motor kits i look at all say "Fits most 26"" so if anyone can help it would be cool thanks.
It would be best to post this question in a thread of your own. Posting a photo of the bike in question always helps, too. While there is probably a way to put some kind of motor on most any bike, it is a matter of matching up a motor with bike... you might have do a friction motor mounted behind the seat on a 20" frame. Welcome to the forum.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Today I removed the "lawnmower cowling" from the engine. Looked 1000X better but I needed 3 spacers so the pull start wouldn't rattle about. Started it up, removed the pull start and rode up to the hardware store. 3 nuts for $0.33 each and I was out the door. I fixed her back up in the parking lot and rode home.

On th way home there was a long downsloping straight and I was WOT when a car pulled up next to me and the guy flashed 3 fingers at me then 5 and then the thumbs up before zooming away. 35mph - nice!

brnot
I agree that motor looks way better without the plastic shroud. There's a thread on the subject which goes into some detail. There are different opinions, but I have found no adverse effect from running mine without it for a couple of years now. I made a small cover for mine to protect myself from possible mishaps with the flywheel blades... made from part of a large size coffee can which is just the right diameter.
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/case-missing-shroud-24275.html
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
GasX said,
"
Still working on a gas tank solution I like as the stock tank rubs me the wrong way. Currently planning on putting a goped tank on the handlebars..."

I didn't like the peanut tank on mine either. A year ago Timsmith helped me make (I helped him) an in frame tank out of tin and then one out of copper which turned out really nice. The thread tells how to make one.
http://motorbicycling.com/f26/tinsmiths-frame-gas-tank-cantilever-schwinn-26805.html
SB