Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Tavern > Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles

Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles Share you knowledge of the laws in your state in this forum. Remember to always verify everything yourself with your dmv

Old 10-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Is it legal to ride 2 stroke in California?

Is it legal to ride 2 stroke non CARB approved engines in California?

I know it is illegal to sell them and import them to California, but is it illegal to ride them?

What if I get stopped by a cop?

Is there such thing as CARB or EPA police?

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

Default Re: Is it legal to ride 2 stroke in California?

yes, it's legal. it's just importing them here that's the problem.

if non compliant older 2 strokes were outlawed and regulated, every gardener in california would be out of business.

there are no smog checks or any other kind of inspections done to our bikes in order to register them, and there's nothing in any of the laws that say anything about engine origin, pollution, compliance, or whatever, just that they can't be over 2hp, 30mph, and 149cc or less to be considered a "motorized bike."

look in the "laws and legislation" section here to find out all the stuff you need to be legal in CA, and then don't worry about it.

also, most motors have a stamped tag rivited on the side of the clutch-rod cover that states the origin and HP and whatever. i take those off, since Grubee's state "2.75HP" on them. that alone makes it illegal, but what they don't know, won't hurt 'em...
Old 10-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

hay bairdco I need to get that registration tag you talked about at the costa mesa dmv do I need to even bring my bike ? do they even look for break lites horn ect and how much is it ?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:29 PM

I wouldn't go down to the local DMV - they probably won't even know what to do with your MB. After reading several horror stories about dealing with DMV drones in person, I mailed mine in with a Postal Money Order for $19 and it arrived in that mail in less than 2 weeks.

Fill in and print out this form - Reg 230 and do it by mail. Use the bike's manufacturer and serial number, and if your motor doesn't have a number, just use the bike's number with an "E" in front of it.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 PM

too cool thank you I hate going to the dentest and dmv ! do they send me a sticker or some thing and on the form I dont fill in the licens number just the vin or motor number from my bike ?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Not that it's a bad question, just that there aren't any simple answers, and not just for CA. Even the Japanese made utility engines that sport EPA/CARB II tags specify certified for off-road use.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff44raff View Post
too cool thank you I hate going to the dentest and dmv ! do they send me a sticker or some thing and on the form I dont fill in the licens number just the vin or motor number from my bike ?

They fill in the license plate number on the form when they keep it. You fiill in the VIN (bike serial), engine number (make something up), make of the bicycle, and sections A and D. The DMV will send you a printed registration form and an actual license plate. They look like this:

Nobody from the DMV will inspect your bike. Just make sure it's got all the equipment you need for the first cop who pulls you over.

Note that I mistakenly sent in $18 and they still sent me the plate. The correct fee is $19. I recommend a Postal Money Order instead of a personal check. It seems to make the difference between 6 weeks and 2 weeks in turn around.

And it never expires, so you don't have to renew it every year - or ever again for that matter.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:04 AM
a guy who makes cool bikes

he's right about the dmv. i went to the costa mesa one to get my m2 permit, and the guy at the counter didn't have a clue about how to file the paperwork, even though i had it all with me and filled out.

i also recommend xeroxing the form with your check on it before you send it, in case you get stopped before you get the plate. that way you have proof you're registering it, and they won't bust you. it saved me once in newport from getting a new bike impounded.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroMagnum View Post
I wouldn't go down to the local DMV - they probably won't even know what to do with your MB. After reading several horror stories about dealing with DMV drones in person, I mailed mine in with a Postal Money Order for $19 and it arrived in that mail in less than 2 weeks.

Fill in and print out this form - Reg 230 and do it by mail. Use the bike's manufacturer and serial number, and if your motor doesn't have a number, just use the bike's number with an "E" in front of it.
I went down to the San Diego DMV (University Heights) and had no issues at all I was inspected and plated in about an hour.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:50 AM

hay thank you guys for all the info thats why this form is so cool ! people like you guys anyhow on a side note bairdco I wrote to you a few month back and you said you were thinking of getting the tools to make pipes , headders ? are you doing that I got a sbp tuned expantion chamber pipe and a worksman on the way and want 1 pice headder flange to chamber about 18 inch what do you say ? Iam at pch and newland