Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Hi, I'm planning a huge adventure, please help!

Originally Posted by crowley1027 View Post
I'm just trying to find the cheapest yet most reliable way to go about building the bike. I have around 2k to spend on the whole trip, and I'd like a little cash for when I hit Cali.

Maybe I should steal someone's chainsaw and rip it apart?

Just kidding, calm down
Besides the build which will break down and need parts there are laws in each state on riding MaBs

Be sure you can afford to have down time fixing and be sure you will not get your bike impounded and need even more money to get it out.

However I do like the movie idea and have thought about writing a book too.

Seriously this is 90% idea and 10% practice on a low budget.

I travel about 3 minutes a mile at best so calculate your distance at 3 minutes a mile and the need to stop every couple of hours just to get an idea of the time required.
Six hours a day of riding would be a lot.

Good luck
Old 10-24-2011, 02:22 AM

Thx guys, as you may be able to read between the lines, I've spent most of my life wanderin' this land, lookin' for what there is to see

Originally Posted by navifty View Post
Is there any particular four stroke and mounting kit you'd recommend? Would you recommend a particular shift kit as well?
TBH no, I recommended a four stroke chain drive rack mount for it's ease & simplicity & comparatively low cost for it's reliability & longevity - because that's what the OP is requesting. In his unique situation it seems the best option in my opinion as rack mounts are pretty much a bolt n'go (or unbolt n'go if there's no other choice), they're usually a name-brand motor with commonly available parts and they're pretty much accepted w/o question as a motor assisted bicycle by law enforcement...

...but they're not really my personal preference as they do have some (minor) disadvantages.

For the daily driving/commuting I do I find the location of the engine mildly awkward, it's high center of mass a touch cumbersome - while this is irrelevant for a long distance trip as you'd have full packs/panniers to counterbalance/lower the CG, there is the fact you'd not be able to use the rack for cargo, as there's a motor there. These are very minor issues however and for the relative novice not interested in extensive fabrication, but looking for simple reliability - completely acceptable ones *shrug* everything's a compromise.

If it weren't for the OP's set parameters regarding cost, ease & simplicity, I'd recommend a four stroke recumbent for maximum comfort & efficiency, but they too have advantages/disadvantages - primarily being cost prohibitive and/or time consuming to buy or build just the bike/trike itself. If you're courious/bored enough to wonder what I think "ideal" (for myself anyway) for such a distance wanderabout, you could check out the following project;
tad pictures - Photobucket

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 10-24-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by calpolymike View Post
take the bus. i think greyhound has the ability to take ur bike as well.
Yeah they do and incidentally GH Freight is a cost effective way to ship bikes even if you're not traveling.

There was a fellow on another forum a few years back who was matching up a Dahon folder with a friction drive just for bus travel. It sounded pretty good actually. He had the idea of using a greyhound travel pass for the big legs of his journey and then unfolding his kit when he got somewhere to get around when he arrived. He said he would unbolt the motor and use a small toolbox designed for storing it in the bus cargo hold. He was looking for ideas on ways to avoid having a permanent fuel tank with fumes and all, like a cheap throw away easily replaced at the next next stop. Don't know it worked it out, he disappeared soon after.......probably on that bus, lol.

Last edited by happyvalley; 10-24-2011 at 03:16 AM.