Some help with centrifugal clutch install

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Very nice bikes you've got there man. I like the rear rack gas tank.

If you can find them in your hardware store than yeah go for it

Pucksterpete

Nov 7, 2008
France
Thanx for the video, So over all, how do think the installation went? Are you having any trouble with the CC at this point? Now with the shift kit and pull start already on, I am thinking about the CC too. Thnx again for putting up the video.

Pete

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
One thing to keep in mind also, is that I'm using a 32T sprocket. Not the 44. So my acceleration is slower. The installation was OK, if you don't have a rotary tool, you might not be able to install it.
Cutting down the 3 clutch posts - easy.
Removing small gear - easy.
Cutting notch for woodruff key - not hard, but slow process.
But now my clutch doesn't fit all the way, so i have to grind even more.

At the moment though, I took my bike completely apart because I'm painting it, installing new bottom bracket for the wide crank kit, and the new dax RT carb and some other modifications.

Overall, if you want to install it, it takes some time to get it on, but after you're done its worth it.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Just an updated, today I stripped my bike of paint, and applied a flat black primer. Looks fantastic, much better than that crappy green. Also my 3 piece wide crank kit came in. Now I really wish I just got an SBP bottom bracket, because they have 3 different choices. Because the kit, is way too big! I will show a pic of the old bracket and new bracket.

This probably is pretty nice if you need lots of clearance for a 4 stroke, but just for like an inch clearance for CC, its too big. Hopefully it will look better once the bike is back together.

Attachments

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
That bracket does look pretty wide, let us know how it works out. It looks like you bent your old crank, that looks like a pretty good bend, you were not able to get clearance with that? I just bend mine straight out while still assemble. I don't have a vise to bend it properly, it feels a little weird but tolerable. Installing the CC was easy, bending the crank to get clearance was the hardest part. I suggest anyone who is planning on getting a CC should think about the right side crank clearance before installing. I had to bend at least an inch to get clearance.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Oh, no thats the new crank that came with the kit.

I will also post a video of how to install this wide crank kit, because there aren't many instructions, and its not too hard, but I think not everyone might figure it out.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Very nice bikes you've got there man. I like the rear rack gas tank.

If you can find them in your hardware store than yeah go for it
Thanks, I had put my Giant bike for sale on craigslist and someone wants to buy it for $425. I paid $75 for the bike (found on craigslist)s and $160 shipped for the motor, do you think this is a good sell price? If I sell it of course I will use the money to build another one. Now I'm deciding if I should go with a cruiser or mountain bike. I know I want something comfortable with front suspension and multi gears.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Nice. If you think its a fair price you should go for it. I have no idea how much work you put into it. If its just a bolt on kit with no mods, then it seems like a pretty good price. But on the other hand if you've got some other stuff on there, you should charge more. All depends on how you feel about it.

man i really want to sell my gas tank and get the 4L one

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I have another rear mount gas tank identical to the one on my Raleigh that I was trying to sell for a while on here but no one was interested. I might use it for my next build, I personally don't like the stock tank, it gets in the way when I pedal. My Giant bike, it actually took me 2 days to put together and a lot of hours adjusting and tweaking it, it runs perfect now with the engine dialed in and the chain is adjusted just right. The only mod is I put a new 8mm spark plug wire with NGK spark plug. I think the price is fair. I guess it's time to search on cragslist again for another build.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Maybe you can bend the cranks that came with the SBP kit and use them with the original short bottom bracket shaft?

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Ok, today I installed the wide cranks. And when I say wide. I mean, wide. Its kinda cool though. The super long bottom bracket is like a foot rest! Not sure if its a good idea, but its comfy. Heres some pics of my bike after the paint and installation.

No front derailleur, no rear either. Single speed. I really enjoy it like this. And since the old derailleur was using a super cheap mounting method, I wasn't always able to use my horizontal dropouts to their full potential. And now I can, and get perfect tension on the bike, and much better on the motorized side too.

The paint is pretty good, for my first time at least. I really like it! Better than that crappy green it was before.

Attachments

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Nice job looks good! (^) Does it feel weird pedaling? So is there a way you can add the front rings and use the front derailleur? How much did you pay for that wide crank?

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
It does feel a bit weird to pedal, but I got used to it. I actually enjoy it, because when I coast, I can put my feet flat on those peds and cranks. Really comfy :p The way I see it, no there isn't a way to add your chainrings. Because yours are bolted to the crank. In the pic you see the crank is really far away from the frame, and that's just not going to work. So I don't know if there is a way to add front gearing with these kits.

I got it for 30 at bicycle-motors.com theres a link some posts back

Pucksterpete

Nov 7, 2008
France
Just got done the other day installing the Centrifugal Clutch. With the Bottom Bracket Cartridge 153 mm from SBP that I had already installed, the crank arm just clears the CC cover. A little grinding of the CC to get CC on shaft better. 3 gaskets for other cover. Waiting for paint to dry, had to make a different clutch cover/chain guard for jackshaft sprocket. Here is a short video and pics

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Centrifugal Clutch - YouTube

All is good, she runs great!

Pete

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Thanks for posting pics and making a video.

There's million motorized bicycle videos on YouTube, but none with the centrifugal clutch, except for Geoldr's, and now yours.

I think if there were more videos with the Motorized Bicycle Centrifugal Clutch in action, it would dissuade anyone's doubts about getting one.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Ok, today I installed the wide cranks. And when I say wide. I mean, wide. Its kinda cool though. The super long bottom bracket is like a foot rest! Not sure if its a good idea, but its comfy. Heres some pics of my bike after the paint and installation.

No front derailleur, no rear either. Single speed. I really enjoy it like this. And since the old derailleur was using a super cheap mounting method, I wasn't always able to use my horizontal dropouts to their full potential. And now I can, and get perfect tension on the bike, and much better on the motorized side too.

The paint is pretty good, for my first time at least. I really like it! Better than that crappy green it was before.
Hey what size (inch) is that bottom bracket for your crank?

Pucksterpete

Nov 7, 2008
France
Well after running the bike with the CC the other day which went well; tonight I was hearing a rubbing noise from the CC when I let off the throttle and the rpms came down, I don't hear it as I start to increase the throttle. Its late here but will check tomorrow and see whats rubbing. Anyone else have this problem before?

Pete

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Yeah I have the same issue. When its at idle, its fantastic. start giving it gas, mine rattles and is really loud, but a few seconds after you start rolling quicker, its gone and super smooth.

I havent measure the bottom bracket but heres the pic. So much room.

Attachments

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Would you say the bracket is more than 6 inches? Regarding the CC noise, the housing on these things are not perfectly round and does wobble. Mine use to make more noise but now it seems smoother. As long as you have the CC deep inside and tighten, you should be ok. I was trying to find a way to dampen the noise on the cover but I don't think it's possible unless you use really thin material.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
I grinded it and grinded it, and it still doesnt fit on right. I just said screw it, and put it on as tight as I could. Just got done today actually. Runs fantastic up hills, and yeah I really like it. Ill go measure the bottom bracket

Couldnt get an accurate measurnment, but its something like 11-12 inches.

Last edited: