removing and adding chain links on motorized bicycle chain

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i do not like using master links. the pictorial i am about to do will show you how to remove and add links without the use of the master link.
only tool you will need is a link removing tool. don't buy a cheap one. get a park or even a small motorcycle one. the cheap ones can't handle the 415 chain and bend. the chain i am doing here is an old one i had laying around and a little rusty but will show you how to do it.

1. the first picture is just a picture of the tool and chain i will be demonstrating with

2. second picture is showing how you set the chain in the tool so that when you turn the lever the pin pushes the chain pin to release chain bearing cover. the trick here is you just make a very small around quarter of a turn on the tool. you just want the pin to push thru the chain link cover.

3. third picture is the chain cover being removed.

4. forth picture is pushing the bearing link thru.

5. fifth picture is the chain separated and you have a master link to put it back together

now you just repeat the process taking out as many links as you need. save the pieces as you can see is you have a master link you can throw in your bag as a spare or if you loose your master link this is a great way to make one with extra chain you may have. to put back together just do the above steps in reverse pushing pin with your tool back into the chain bearing cover. hope this helps

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
norms have been so helpful to me i figured i would try to do a few. can read all day how to do something but nothing beats a picture except real life hands on

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
Great lesson. If only the kits came with such thorough instructions:)

A motorcycle chain breaker is a worthwhile investment. It beats dremeling off rivets.

Thanks Cruiser!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
actually putting chain back together for me these days is a pair of pliers to get it started then a "C" clamp to press it in place. If chain is not on the bike in an emergency you can pop it with a center punch over a bit of metal with a hole in it. but you do have to be very careful not to drive the rivet all the way through. I used to see my dad do that when I was a kid.

I have a chain break and I high recommend it though over any other method.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Nice post Paul....I broke my chain breaker in about 5 minutes...then broke the second one too. Gave up and now use my time tested method of bench grinder.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm proud of you all!
Hey I thought of an idea on chain breaker poorboy style I'll maybe do a post and pictures I think most of you will have the tools needed and I rate this idea as a black and blue thumb nail award. rotfl I'll get to it soon. I did go to the trouble of making my own chain breaker out of aluminum stock and a bolt with my dremel tool but it was a pain. I need to get me a mill. I need to suck up to the old snake woman(my wife) maybe I'll get her in the mood to let me buy a mill?!
Material needed angle iron or flat strap hammer and a punch some good old cuss words before starting and some during the construction. It will not be pretty but should work and you guys should be able to modify it to fit your needs. I hope.
Snake is telling me to get to bed now she wants to rock me to sleep.:confused:
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I can break all the 1/8 and 3/32 I want but I can't get the 3/16 chain to work very well. I know I have the wrong breaker but I just bought a new 1/8 3/32 breaker because it was like three bucks at wallymart.

I'm going to take my old 20 buck park, with the braded end, and file the chain area so the chain will sit deeper. thats all it really needs, I think lol. One of those where the 6 times more expensive tool went to the devil on me. I'm not sure about the cheapo but I could have bought six of them for the price of the park from the bike shop. Live and learn.

Rock me to sleep, Norman you have been gone to long or not married long enough my friend.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
After wearing out two cheapo Bell breakers from WMart, I went back to the time tested method of wheel grinder to take 'em apart and five pound hammer and punch to put 'em back together.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yeah - this is the thread I was looking for last night!! Nice little breaker. What kind/style of breaker are the others talking about that keeps, well, er breaking?:)

EDIT: So when you reassemble the chain, without a masterlink, what do you use to round over the pin that you just put in?

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the park chain breaker you were looking at is a good one and i believe park has a lifetime warranty like craftsman. for the top use the one you took off use the 2 pieces. on the bottom of this picture and use your tool to press the pin. nothing needs to be rounded off. they fit tight. alot better then a master link and stronger. to me the master link is the weakest link so i do away with them. i can acutually do it this way faster then with a master link also. the cheap kmart schwinn breakers etc are the ones that bend and break.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Got it. Great pics of the tool.

I did not realize there are more than one slot(s) in the tool. Makes total sense now. When I did mine rude and crude - ON THE BIKE - without a tool (it can be done, but it's difficult) I used a little anvil in back, and a flat punch to round the head over a bit.

Yep - I'm buying that Park tool.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
key to it is only press enough for pin to drop thru cap it will give and fell a click when you are free then do the other pin and remove the cap and slide out the other part. when you get the tool practice a few times with some of your extra links you have. once you get the hang of it you can replace or ad links in a second.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
The ONLY problem with the Parker tool?

It will not work with #41 chain.....bummer....

I have an idea though. If I file/grind the pin head and then try the little tool it just might work.

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
why dont you guys just use the real chain breakers?

I mean they are dirt cheap and work better than the bicycle ones.

a good one is like $10. a cheap one is like $5.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Where do I get one? I bought a Park ct-5 and I don't know if it's going to last any longer than my P.O.S. Bell breaker I got from W-Mart.