Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors



Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > 4 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits

4 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits 4 stroke motorized bicycle engine kits are great if you want reliability or do not want to mix your oil and gas. Learn from each other how to get the most out of your 4 stroke bicycle engine


Honda GX35 Bogging

4 stroke motorized bicycle engine kits are great if you want reliability or do not want to mix your oil and gas. Learn from each other how to get the most out of your 4 stroke bicycle engine


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-01-2011, 09:44 PM
cory151's Avatar
cory151 cory151 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 457
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Honda GX35 Bogging

Hey gang,

Just installed a new Honda GX35 on an all Aluminum framed cruiser. Only problem Im having is after warmup the motor bogs at WOT. Any ideas?

I experimented with oil levels full, half full, and 1/4 full because I read too much oil will cause a bogging issue. Next I tried better gas to no avail as well as removing the flame arrestor from the exhaust which just seems like a restrictive piece of a Brilo pad.

Plug looks really clean, the only thing you can adjust for the most part, seems to be the idle speed which does nothing.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-01-2011, 09:57 PM
happyvalley happyvalley is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upper Pioneer Valley
Posts: 787
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Honda GX35 Bogging

If it's a new engine as you say, I would slow down first on the WOT then on trying a bunch of different things all at once because you might do more harm than good. Like for instance running with 1/4 oil. The GX35 is said by the manufacturer to be a 360* all position engine so oil level shouldn't matter. Besides in the pic yours looks mounted pretty level.

Take your time, break the engine in slowly, use the correct amount of oil, it's probably something simple like the air filter or fuel tank cap not venting.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-01-2011, 10:40 PM
cory151's Avatar
cory151 cory151 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 457
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool Re: Honda GX35 Bogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyvalley View Post
If it's a new engine as you say, I would slow down first on the WOT then on trying a bunch of different things all at once because you might do more harm than good. Like for instance running with 1/4 oil. The GX35 is said by the manufacturer to be a 360* all position engine so oil level shouldn't matter. Besides in the pic yours looks mounted pretty level.

Take your time, break the engine in slowly, use the correct amount of oil, it's probably something simple like the air filter or fuel tank cap not venting.
Thank for the tip. Tried running with the fuel cap off and it didn't seem to matter as well as no air filter. So your suggestion is to drive the bike slower? Each thing I mentioned that I tried was completely independent of one another. Try something go for a ride. Didn't work return to stock, try something else, no better...etc etc.

This thing is on the clock. If it doesn't shape up its gonna find itself at the bottom of my recycle bin and be replaced with a Tanaka 40
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 PM
GearNut's Avatar
GearNut GearNut is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Posts: 5,025
Thanks: 80
Thanked 137 Times in 126 Posts
Default Re: Honda GX35 Bogging

If things don't work out, could you please use my recycling bin? I'll even come over and get for you.

Try a new spark plug?
Check the color of the plug after an extended run time at full bog to see if it is rich or lean?
__________________
The_Aleman:
"It's a chinagirl. It's a sometimes fun little engine that often will break your heart. It's disposable.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
________________________
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-01-2011, 11:30 PM
cory151's Avatar
cory151 cory151 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 457
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Honda GX35 Bogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
If things don't work out, could you please use my recycling bin? I'll even come over and get for you.

Try a new spark plug?
Check the color of the plug after an extended run time at full bog to see if it is rich or lean?
Heck no I made the mistake of letting somebody have my CNS carb that I offed once, only to go on a 60 mile ride with the guy and the CNS crapped the bed on the ride screwing me over yet again.

The plug on a lean tuned emission concerned 4 stroke doesnt tell you nearly as much as it would on a 2 stroke. Even if there was a mixture issue there are zero turnable screws on the carb. What would I do? Either way its actually a perfect looking plug after running the engine at WOT.

Last edited by cory151; 10-01-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-02-2011, 03:02 AM
hondabicycle hondabicycle is offline
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Honda GX35 Bogging

Hello,
Did you try a differnet tension on the belt? I looked at the picture and it looks tight.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-02-2011, 03:08 PM
cory151's Avatar
cory151 cory151 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 457
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Honda GX35 Bogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondabicycle View Post
Hello,
Did you try a differnet tension on the belt? I looked at the picture and it looks tight.
Its got a factory installed tensioner that is spring loaded.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-2011, 03:29 PM
happyvalley happyvalley is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upper Pioneer Valley
Posts: 787
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Honda GX35 Bogging

I can relate my experience with the same engine on the same drive set-up and say I've had excellent performance. Engine break-in I did was 10 hours, no WOT and varying rpms on a ride. I did a couple of oil changes in that time. Many users report a noticeable power increase after break-in and I agree with that, maybe as much as 20%. Though I infrequently run it wide open, maybe up a hill here and there, I have no issues with bogging, it will wind right through it's rpm range.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-02-2011, 03:47 PM
hondabicycle hondabicycle is offline
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Honda GX35 Bogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyvalley View Post
I can relate my experience with the same engine on the same drive set-up and say I've had excellent performance. Engine break-in I did was 10 hours, no WOT and varying rpms on a ride. I did a couple of oil changes in that time. Many users report a noticeable power increase after break-in and I agree with that, maybe as much as 20%. Though I infrequently run it wide open, maybe up a hill here and there, I have no issues with bogging, it will wind right through it's rpm range.
Thanks happy.
His looks almost 45 degrees bend were the tensioner is. Is your tensioner about the same angle?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-02-2011, 03:55 PM
zean zean is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: california
Posts: 160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Honda GX35 Bogging

Hi cory 151. I'm still learning about engines. I would check the valve train for bent push rods or stuck valves and valve lash. I would check the carb if bad gas plugged up the tiny passages, first I would put 3oz of gumout 2x concentrated fuel cleaner in about a 1/4 tank of fuel more or less, two or three times,and see if that would restore power. Thankyou.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Sponsors

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
MotorBicycling.com