Flea market find

GoldenMotor.com

60weight

Sep 15, 2011
Dallas
Not sure yet what Ive got here,but found a nice bike with a motor,and really starting to get interested it it. Has front and rear suspension,sprung gel seat and a 49cc engine.After lurking here,it looks like whomever put it together knows there stuff..Before I try to fire it up,what shall I do to it?If it was a Ironhead Harley,I would change all fluids,plugs,set timing,adj pushrods...ect.Now,I belive Ill build another. Pics in my avatar I think..Thanks!.wee.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hmm.. sounds like fun, post a few pics so we can see what you've scored. ;)

First off, I'd check all the bolts screw etc and make sure it's tight.
Next I'd probably pull the plug (check the colour of it to see if the engine's been used with it, and if it's been running rich or lean) and walk it back and forth with the clutch engaged (plug out, fuel off) and have a listen to it. It should make a nice little whut-whut-whut as the cylander cycles, and by putting a thumb or finger in the plug hole you'll be able to confirm compression. If the motor won't turn or doesn't seem to be getting good compression you may have to go a little farther with a rebuild by checking rings, gaskets etc. With the plug in the boot, lay it on the cylander head as you're walking it and watch for any hint of spark as well, although a voltmeter can be used just as easily instead. If it has no spark, it's usually one of only a couple of things, CDI or magneto, or possibly poor wiring.

After that, eyeball the drive chain and sprocket, make sure they're both good. Check the fuel line, cables etc for cracking, hardening and so on.

The only fluid to wory about it the fuel.. not knowing the engine's history I'd probably err on the side of caution and go with a mix a bit closer to starter mix for the first tank, somewhere around 20:1.

I'm sure there's a lot of other things to check for, that's just off the top of my head halfway through my first coffee of the day.

60weight

Sep 15, 2011
Dallas
Thanks C.T. !
Did all Ya suggested,so far so good,found 2 leaks in this tiny carb,the little plastic bubble ya push to prime and a cracked gas line.Got plenty compression..new plug..

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Definately replace the gas line. I need to do that this weekend, my cheap kit line has already hardened up badly. I don't want gas all over the motor or myself. It gets ugly.

60weight

Sep 15, 2011
Dallas
I did,and rode it yesterday first time! wow...brings back my younger days! smooth bike,but still got two more issues ta fix..hard to start and air leaks (intake)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Your avatar shows an HT style engine. I have never seen one with a carburetor that uses a primer bulb like what one would find on a weed wacker or leaf blower. They do not come from the factory with such a carburetor either.

60weight

Sep 15, 2011
Dallas
GearNut,This little carbs got one..sure looks factory,the black plastic(I think) intake looks factory to...has two bolts coming out that the carby slides on.Carb reminds me of the Mickuni ones I use on My Harleys but without a float.maybe this carbs why I cant git Her to idle?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Sounds like it's got a pocketbike/scooter carby on it. They usually work pretty good on those engines, should work fine on this one too, if the carby is good and no leaks.

60weight

Sep 15, 2011
Dallas
Wayne Z, what's the best carb I can git? It seems I'm stuck on these motorbike things!
I fact I just ordered up a kit..now to put together another bike!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
60weight,
You said the bike has "front and rear suspension".
With the HT (Chinese 2 stroke) and the kit supplied chain drive used with them, I'm wondering how that works. Typically you'd have problems with maintaining chain tension on a rear suspension bike. I'd like to see some photos of yours and how the engine drive chain is routed.
Tom

60weight

Sep 15, 2011
Dallas
Mr. 2door and Mr. Vincent713, I'm not smart enuff to post pics..sorry.But I am excited about these bikes with motors,and glad to find this forum! At first I was a bit embarrassed to ride this one I found,but starting to like it better than my Harleys.. I'm old.Wish I could find a dealer in Dallas that sold these engines and parts..found a couple on Craigs list,but if theres not a dealer..who knows,there might be.