Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Cruiser Bicycles

Motorized Cruiser Bicycles The beach cruiser has always been great bicycles to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: is my motor dead???

Originally Posted by BADBOOH View Post
I have never heard of a spark plug blowing off, could be a bad sign. I don't believe 24:1 is the proper oil fuel mixture for an unbroke in motor. I go 40:1 for the first gallon then 32:1 after. Personal opinion. For some reason (may relate to your situation) when I position my fuel filter right side up my engine floods. Causes me to have to turn the motor over pedaling. This is hard work and takes close to 10 to 15 minutes to unflood the motor. Might help.
You should rethink your advice on fuel mix. A 40:1 ratio is a little light on oil for break in. We suggest a 24:1 mix for break in then after a couple of gallons move DOWN to a 32:1mix.
The larger number represents the gasoline, the smaller number the oil. In other words if you have 32 ounces of gas, you'll want to mix in 1 oz. of oil for a 32:1 ratio. Suggesting a 40:1 mix for break in is not good advice. The engine needs more oil than that when new.

In addition, the position of the fuel filter, unless you have it installed backwards has no effect on the way the engine runs. It sounds like you have a float problem or a incorrectly adjusted carburetor.

Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"

Last edited by 2door; 10-01-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:05 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

i had my spark plug pop off before.
i just finished remounting my engine & forgot to tighten the plug down.
i rode it to the store fine.
then on the way back i heard a pop.
sounded like a thumb & mouth sound.
burnt the heck out of my fingers trying to put it back on.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Got my bike to fire up with new mag and Cdi but o suggest that if your going to hook up a light to the motor I suggest you don't do it. It seems to me that's what fries the mag.