Need ideas for a new fuel tank......

GoldenMotor.com

dirt

Aug 13, 2011
United States
I don't know of a pre-made tank, but it would be pretty simple to make one I think. A few options come to mind depending on how much room you have. The apple juice can or something along those lines would be a pretty good option.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Although I don't have that engine, you may want to check out some lawn mower shops for gas tanks....Most Horizontal engines have a gas tank in a similar location to that engine but you may have to fab up a mounting plate or something since I kinda doubt a tank from another application would be a direct bolt up...

I have a 13 HP Honda (I think a GX 360?) on a power washer that has a huge gas tank (I think the tank mounts are pretty custom to that engine tho so a custom made adapter plate is a given needed on this...On the other hand ....My snow blower (Techumsh powered) has a pretty good sized tank too and it is mounted off a metal plate that could be easy to drill out (the mounting plate that is) for making different mounting holes...This tank and factory mount would probably make this easier to fit onto different engines.

As another possible idea.... how about a second aux tank or simply an additional fuel container you can carry (I've heard of folks using aluminum containers and using bicycle water bottle mounts to carry the extra fuel) you can refuel when needed.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Donutguy,
I was looking at the photo of the engine and one way you could make up a plate would be to get some aluminum angle and cut two pieces. One would go along the front and have a cutout where the plug fits into the cylinder. Drill holes where the gas tank mounts fit. Do the same thing on the other side of the engine (minus the cutout). Make up a little flat plate to join the two sections of angle together. Now you have a secure base for the new tank. Drill holes in the plate to match up with whatever tank you find. A country lawnmower, small engine repair shop will have donors out back to rob parts from. A snowblower or something like that will have a tank of a size you want. If it were mine I'd use one of my leather covered V8 juice can tanks held on to the plate with stainless steel straps going through slots in the mounting plate. I made a super sized one from a coffee can which I've never used, but that baby holds some serious miles of gas. There are threads here on building a juice tank. Finding a used squarish one should be pretty easy and no doubt the price would be right. Good luck to you...
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you're mounting that Titan on a rack, behind your seat, then you'll have to keep the tank higher than the carburetor. Keep that in mind with whatever tank you find.
I saw a bike recently where the guy had mounted two tanks saddled over his rear wheel with squeeze bulbs like you see on an outboard motor fuel tank. When the engine tank was empty he just pumped fuel from the saddle tanks back up into the Titan tank. Bulky, but he was into long distance rides.
The beauty of that 4 stroke is that you can pull into any gas station and top off without having to mix fuel/oil.
Good luck. Let us know what you come up with.
Tom