Things I Hate About Riding My Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
Re: Things I Hate About Riding My MB

What I hate the most is how people always need to go faster than me no matter the speed limit.... Heck I'll even be pushing 1 or 2 mph over the speed limit and if they catch a glimpse of me they feel they have to go faster. I laugh every time they get done passing and I see the break lights held down for quite some time to slow WAY down.

It must be jealousy :D

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Oddly... cager courtesy o_O

I know I know, I should prolly explain that a bit lol :p

We've not much in the way of paved shoulders 'round here, as a result I'm often far closer to high speed traffic then I'm comfy with. Still, even if they don't alter course at all, they'll clear my handlebars with a foot or so to spare, more if they move over a bit while passing...

That's not my complaint tho, that's jus' the way of things while riding a bicycle here - I accept my place in life & sometimes run the rough if the traffic/road is really bad, w/e *shrug*

The problem is strangely the opposite, I'd far rather deal with the predictable obliviousness of the average cager than the excessive overcompensation one in every three or four seem prone to - they'll veer ALL the way over into the oncoming traffic lane, crossing the yellow line completely - somehow thinking I need at least twelve feet of clearance or I'll explode or sumthin'... worse yet, we don't have many straight & flat roadways here so odds are they're doing this on the blind side of a hill or a forested curve in the road O.O

It freaks me out every time, sooner or later there's gonna be a massive head-on collision w/bodies everywhere... and I jus' know somehow I'll be to blame despite the fact I wasn't even in the freakin' road >.<

Ain't jus' me tho - many a time I've been victim of the flip side, they're be a bicycle/pedestrian on the other side and the oh-so-generous cager will veer away from them, cross the line & head straight fer lil ol' me and the eighteen wheeler comin' up on my six.

Seriously people, I'm sure we can come to a compromise - jus' pretend I'm not there like most folks do, I'm used to that lol ;)

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

cars don't bother me much. i kinda like playing in traffic. i know i'm gonna be the worst off if i lose, but that's most of the fun.

what i hate about riding my bike, is some of the people i'm forced to talk to.

now, the old guy that used to have a whizzer is ok. i know his type. he's the same guy who cut his sister's roller skates in half and made the first skateboard. i've talked to that guy my whole life.

the guy who wants to buy my bike or have me build him one is great, too. happens at least once a day. he's all excited, checks out my bike, tells me about the kid next door with the loud, smokey, crappy huffy rat bike and what a piece of junk it is, and that he didn't know they could actually be really cool bikes, and he's got no problem shelling out 1500 bucks or so for me to build him one...

...only problem with that guy, is i never see him again.

so i guess i hate that guy.

but what i really hate is the friggen tweakers who i see all the time, and they've all got the exact same story, about building a bike, and how super-awesome it is, and it's better than, or at least just as good as mine, and they know all those tricks like filing the pin down in the carb and boring out the cylinder and whatever nonsensical stuff that i've never heard of, and that wouldn't work anyway.

these same junkies go on about how the bike was either stolen or wrecked, and sometimes both, if i run into the same guy twice.

all these idiots are doing is making my burrito get cold and chewing holes in their cheeks.

i'd rather talk to cops then tweakers. they both may lie and not know what they're talking about, but at least i can reason with a cop.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead

Running out of gas because I can not remember the last time I filled it up.

I had problems with elderly drivers giving me the fisheye stare and pulling out directly in front of me. Until I realized they could not see at all.
I now use a very loud muffler or even a straight pipe.
The noise wakes them up real quick.
Louder is better for me.

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

i hate riding my bike in a city that has no bike lanes,except on the main 5laned streets. cuz i have to pull off and usually its a drop of like 4-7 inches to the ground from the pavement and i cant slow down too quickly cuz they are like 8-10 ft behind me. As soon as i start to turn to start goin to the side of the road they cut real close past me and nearly make me fall off my bike by going by so close!

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA

The problem is strangely the opposite, I'd far rather deal with the predictable obliviousness of the average cager than the excessive overcompensation one in every three or four seem prone to
I have seen that quite often. A 4 way stop and all the cars wait for my bike to go first or cars having a green light stopping for my bike that has a red light. A friend explained it to me. Many drivers think bikes are totally unpredictable. They act accordingly.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

Yup. I don't like attracting so much attention that the world stops when they see me. lol But... oh well. Atleast its a more smoother ride for us. :)

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

I hate it when I get so used to driving forever on a tank of gas that suddenly I run out 10 miles from home and cannot find a gas station that sells 2-stroke oil for air cooled engines so I have to pedal all the way back home swearing I will get around to carrying the list of emergency items. I also hate narrow shoulders that do not give a car three feet to pass if there is any opposing traffic. I felt bad for a dump truck that lost all his speed when he slowed down to wait for oncoming traffic then he had trouble passing me. I actually caught back up to him before we hit the top of the hill.
Not just for you but, first there is no excuse for running out of gas. First of all at the worse mileage you can get is what 30-40 miles to a tank? Daaa fill up BEFORE you leave home , have a full tank. I'm a pilot... NEVER, (cardinal rule, among others) weight permitting, leave gas in the tanks at the airport. Depending on your mix, carry 1/2 of what a gallon is in a screw top medicine bottle. For me that is 2oz. Either have a holder of zip ties to attach the bottle to the bike, or carry a back pack with various items. Easier to find gas then mix the oil. If I ever (not likely) run out of gas I can always stop at someone house, and hopefully buy a tank full...I have oil with me.

For me it's passing....give me some room. We all are authorized to use the road.

Last edited:

nvmextc

Dec 10, 2010
Sydney

When your riding in wet grass and forget your v brakes will be useless when you need them.
Happened the other week, I was following my m8, he went str8 into a ditch and then I proceeded to land ontop of him.

And definitely car drivers that want the road only to themselves, I've been driven off a roundabout before and once I was travelling around a blind downhill corner at speed limit, and a 4wd comes behind honking his horn, I manage to move out of the way for him to speed past and pull into his driveway not more than 100m away, then back in and out of the driveway, constantly, so far that I had to drive on the wrong side of the road to not get hit :mad: :mad: Don't have a clue what was going through their mind.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I am so feed up of people assuming becuase I ride a MB that I am some drunk with no drivers license.

UriDead

Nov 21, 2011
Madison, IN.

I am so feed up of people assuming becuase I ride a MB that I am some drunk with no drivers license.
Funny you mention that. Living in a small community virtually all my life, most people know me or are familiar with me. Had someone actually ask me if I lost mine. LOL Never mind they may see me in a pickup truck, on one of two Harley FLT's or one of my now grown children's left over 50cc scooters. I ride them all. There's a great restaurant on the river road where many bikers congregate on the weekends and they may see me on all of them in a day.

The best policy is to not worry about what others may think, they have no clue and just have fun.

Things I Hate About Riding My MB: Nothing other than winter is upon me!

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York

i hate when you realize you're low on gas and it runs out right up the street from your house and you have to pedal the rest.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

i hate when you realize you're low on gas and it runs out right up the street from your house and you have to pedal the rest.
Firstly, ALWAYS know how far you can ride with the fuel in your tank.

Secondly, know where all the gas stations in your area are.

Thirdly, always carry 2-stroke oil and a measuring cup w/you.

Fourthly, install a 4-liter gas tank.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

It drives me nuts when some cager sits on my back left corner, pacing me. I feel crowded (usually am). The worst for this is when going into one curve I deal with daily. They could cut it tighter and pass me, but instead they crowd me until I'm almost against the curb. I'd like to wave 'em past, but under those circumstances I usually have both hands busy (I grab the clutch going into the curve while braking a little, coast through the middle third, accelerate out of the last third).

The other big peeve is when someone blocks the bike lane coming off the bridge. Traffic backs up there frequently. If I can squeeze past in the bike lane they get a blast off the AirZound and sometimes a kick in the bodywork (steel toe runners are great). If they pinch me/crowd me there, I'll lean left and drag my handlebar down the side of the vehicle, lovely scratches and gouges in their paintwork. If they block the bike lane completely, I (carefully) go around the left side of them, then stop in front of them and take my own sweet time when the light changes before I get up to speed. When one started giving me crap, I told him, "You stay out of my lane, and I won't have to be in yours."

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Wow, some of you go to great lengths to retaliate against cagers.

I've THOUGHT about what you guys suggest, but I'd never do it. The thought of hurting an innocent bystander comes to mine. Besides, if the police figured out what I had done, I'd be body slammed onto the asphalt, then charged with assault with a concealed weapon and/or criminal mischief.

And of course, they'd haul me away and leave my bike there for someone to steal. And my kids would look upon me as some sort of criminal.

AND my wife would not bail me out.:-||

Lame as it might seem, I'd just make a police report about vehicular harrassment.

Altho once when I was pedalling my regular bike in a bike lane, a tour bus was WAYYY into my lane up front at the stop light. As I passed the bus, I pounded on its side, for the length of it. Luckily, I took the next right and the bus went straight ahead.

He and his busload of passengers got the hint..laff

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

sometimes a kick in the bodywork (steel toe runners are great). If they pinch me/crowd me there, I'll lean left and drag my handlebar down the side of the vehicle, lovely scratches and gouges in their paintwork.
This is just not well thought out nor very good advice.