Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

got a trike and i want to put a motor but i need help first

Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default got a trike and i want to put a motor but i need help first

soo i got a trike that has a sound system and new paint job but now its ridiculous heavy i can barly ride it n i want to add a motor with a genorator ive been looking at a 110 cc motor n i was thinkin of putting it in the box and have a muffler hang under the box let me know what you guys think???(ps i can get a 110cc motor 50 bucks with key but its manual... Heres a photo the back has a door for maintenance if you need any more photos just say n ill snap em in an instant

Last edited by Dropyotop; 09-09-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: got a trike and i want to put a motor but i need help first

*bump* anyone???
Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Nice trike, unless your planing on having major air flow its going to be hard to keep the motor from over heating in that box. If you have the coin i would suggest a front electric hub, keeping the bike clean.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyerat View Post
Nice trike, unless your planing on having major air flow its going to be hard to keep the motor from over heating in that box. If you have the coin i would suggest a front electric hub, keeping the bike clean.
Thanks man but i was thinking of this 110CC ENGINE MOTOR AUTO ELEC START ATV DIRT BIKE 152FMH and its air cooled soo cant i just have the air fillter sticking out?? i want it to be gas i think this can be a awesome project
ive been thinking of doing this for years
Old 09-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Its not the air for the intake i would be worried about. Air cooled motors need air to pass thru the fins of the head. I guess if you had some fans exchanging the air of the box at a decent rate it might work but not sure. Another idea would be a water cooled motor with the rad exposed.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:27 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

what you can do is drill about a 6in hole and install 2, 12v pc fans from radio shack ,one under the seat bringing air in , and the other one in the back taking air out, that way air can pass through the box
Old 09-11-2011, 03:55 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

I think you need to do more research before you buy a motor. See what others have done. If they are riding down the street now, then what they did you can learn from. Don't be too quick to choose the motor and then try to make the build work around that. Better to make the motor work with the bike you have. The bike is the starting point. How will you transfer power from the motor to the axle? Big question which leads to which engine will do that best.
You may get a great deal on a motor for $50.00 and then have to spend a whole lot more trying to make it work on your trike. Another motor might be cheaper in the long run.
SB
Old 09-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

there was a person on here that put a custom manic mechanic sprocket adapter on the rear axle which mean you can still mount the motor in the box using a custom rear mount
Old 09-11-2011, 05:16 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby478 View Post
there was a person on here that put a custom manic mechanic sprocket adapter on the rear axle which mean you can still mount the motor in the box using a custom rear mount
That's a thought. 110cc is a lot of motor for a trike. Does that motor have an automatic clutch built in? If so, then you could go directly to the above mentioned sprocket adapter. If not, then you'd need some kind of jack shaft and clutch I would think.
Trikes are inherently less stable to ride than two wheelers, so you might want to think about a really good suspension front fork and gearing it for speeds under 30 mph. Also look to your brakes for good stopping power. You said the bike is heavy now and it will be even heavier with an engine, plus going faster. Go fast = stop fast.
I couldn't bring up the photo you posted so could't see the box. What about some kind of air scoop to direct air through the box while moving and have an "exhaust" or exit point to the rear for the scooped air to pass through. While stopped for any length of time you'd need to think about the electric fans... maybe and maybe not. You'd have to try things out to see if the engine was overheating.
SB
Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

yea other ppl isee with motor bikes have the 66cc/80cc motor but i think my bike will blow that motor or i wont go fast i had anther idea but then i saw what happens uphill soo idint like it it was a friction motor and fans Ohh man do igot those 6'' fans i got clear ones blue ones black ones im a technician and i have alot in my inventory but yea i was thinking of a a oiled coll hookup i was thinking of this but ithink its a lil too much for this project (not in price) OILCOOLER like ised its going to be a winter project to keep me bussy but i was thinking of taking a 10'' sub out in the bottom and getting a peace of mdf wood and put it there and mount the motor on the peace of wood where the sub wood be but i can also get my hands on a 49cc 2 stroke gas scooter motor with a generator and keys for same price (but ist the 2 stroke a gas guzzler for bikes)?
but thanks guys that you helping me out i really appreciated