Homelite powered Huffy

GoldenMotor.com

kolbpilot

Sep 3, 2011
USA
Greetings from Va. For some reason, the 2 pics I have of this bike won't upload. Here's what I got. My 15 yr. old Huffy Tundra was just sittin' around, not being ridden since the last couple of years. I had long ago trashed the original knobby tires & put 1.95 x 26 Kenda Komforts on it. Suddenly I had a 25 cc Homelite on my hands. I Googled 'weed wacker bikes' to get ideas. Same with youTube, looked at multiple videos. My installation went about as smooth as can be. I'll have to get pics but all I did was bolt an angle bracket using the hole where my rear brake was attached to the frame. The engine is bolted directly to the bracket, a small aluminum tube was attached to the rear of the engine (flattened ends) to pull down on it (attaching at the rear of the frame) creating the necessary roller tension. I used a standard BMX peg that is fully serrated. The rear brake cable became my throttle cable. The original carb was worn & also had no hi end adjustment. I bought a Chinese Zama, fully adjustable carb. for $ 15.50 to my door. I plan to put a cheap speedometer on it but for know I'm guessing it will do a solid 25 mph with me, at a 190 lbs. & the 50 lb. (with engine) Huffy. I'm guessing the engine is spinning about 5500 rpm wide open but I like to ride slow anyway & usually cruise around 15 mph & 3000 - 3500 rpm. Pics to come once I can figure how to upload 'em.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Kolbpilot, welcome.

Sounds like a great build and looking forward to seeing it.

The pic thing is to prevent spamming, ya have to post a few times before you can post pics.

kolbpilot

Sep 3, 2011
USA
Howdy Kolbpilot, welcome.

Sounds like a great build and looking forward to seeing it.

The pic thing is to prevent spamming, ya have to post a few times before you can post pics.
How comments do I have to post to get past the spam thing? I still can't get pictures to upload.cvlt1

concretepumper

Aug 30, 2011
Cali
Sounds good! Can I suggest a turnbuckle on the rear for tension adjustment unless you can already adjust. Man your build sounds a lot like my first 2. I did the same "youtube searches" and got to work tearing apart my homelite. I have since collected 8 weed wackers to work with. Seems each one is very different though. Working on #4 now. We look forward to seeing pics of your ride.brnot

kolbpilot

Sep 3, 2011
USA
I thought about a turnbuckle for a lot of people were using 'em in the youTube videos. But I decided to use what I had laying around before I went out & bought one. It has worked well in my roughly 30 miles of riding so far. My tension tube has only 1 setting, either attached or not. To me, you only want enough tension to get the job done, too tight & it's unnecessary friction. Too loose & it slips. Mine works great but will slip instantly once it gets wet, as I found out after a rain shower. I will go to a turnbuckle if need be but all is well with the simple pull down tube. cvlt1

concretepumper

Aug 30, 2011
Cali
Right on! What are you using for a drive spindle? I use a 1" socket. I cut grooves every 1/4' for more traction. Huge improvement. Also a plus to the turnbuckle is I can raise the motor off the tire if I run out of gas or break down.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
It was 3 posts then you could put up Pictures but might have changed. So might could, ya could. If not, and just for now, could upload to Photobucket or the like and post a link. Also, it stores em for you so you can't lose em. Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket Am on pain meds and although very, very happy at the moment, the brain is hitting on about 3 and a half cylinders.

I know it is a bit of a pain in the butt, but really helped cuttin out some of the spam and is for us all. It is truly funny how devious and cleaver them no good rat batturds, sons of bicyclists, no good )*(&^)*%$@'s are.

In the great words of Elmer Fudd; "Kill da spammer, kill da spammer!
.xx.

kolbpilot

Sep 3, 2011
USA
I used a fully serrated BMX peg that I found off a discarded bike. These pegs come in different styles, but this was was just what I needed. The engine was an older, '05 clutchless Homelite. All I did was grind down the peg somewhat to make it fit between the vanes on the flywheel. I used the same nut/cable drive (curved shaft wacker) that came with the engine to secure the peg. It all fell in to place & it all came together quite easily. At the moment, I am SOL if the engine were to quit or run out of gas because it is direct drive with no way to lift the peg off the tire. But, I'm still experimenting with it & my trips are short. cvlt1

concretepumper

Aug 30, 2011
Cali
What is the O.D. of the peg. I have tried a peg and found the O.D. to be too large for me. Seems most drive rollers are 1"-1 1/4". My son weighs 150 and it will pull him and really hauls but. No low end torque though. Also those little fins can be cut off the flywheel to help get the drive on there.

kolbpilot

Sep 3, 2011
USA
Success. Go to my album for several pics. I'd say my peg is of the same size. I weigh 190. Figure another 50 for the bike & we're up to 240 gross weight. My engine has very little torque as well but it will move me down the street at 25 mph. It even accelerates from about 10 mph on but I help the little thing by pedaling. Luckily I live in coastal Virginia, which is flat. Any kind of incline slows it down along with stiff winds. But, all in all, I'm quite pleased.cvlt1

concretepumper

Aug 30, 2011
Cali
Wow! What a simple design. Nice job. I like how little material you used. Saves on weight. I am no pro but I bet if you drop the size of that spindle you would be happier with the performance. Mine starts with about 4 turns on the pedals. The peg drive bike doesn't start as easy.

kolbpilot

Sep 3, 2011
USA
Hi Dan, it's been a while but it used to be 254 lbs. maximum for a single seat ultralight. No license necessary. I flew a 400 lb. 2 seater Kolb, but....sold. Gone is gone. Concretepumper : Thanks for the compliment. I truly was putting that thing together by winging it. However, I'm quite pleased, I must say. Your right about the gearing, I too think it is slightly too high. And, a skinnier drive peg would help. If I come across something that I think will work I'll be the first to try it. Either that, or maybe a 30 cc Homelite.