Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: A note of caution on the HF 212

Originally Posted by happyvalley View Post
Well map, you seem like a pretty civil guy so no hard feelings I hope when I point out in my post I said:

IMO, in my opinion that is and I'm sure you got yours. I don't know what all the laws are in TX regarding motorized bicycles but where I live and about in about 30 other states the law tops out around 50cc and 2 BHP. I'd like to see motorized bicycles not regulated out of existence or regulated much at all. Unfortunately I saw that happen with mopeds in the 1970's when they boomed with the gas price hikes of the OPEC embargo era. Mopeds were pretty much unregulated at first but then all across the country states began requiring license, ins, inspection, or registration, etc. That killed the boom. I notice 'mission creep' setting in on the world of motored bicycles where they seem headed more toward motored cycles, in other words a low ball entry in two wheeled motor sport, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who will notice this either.

Above that, I do not think even very good bicycles are manufactured with specs made to carry much in the way of auxiliary power and cheap bikes even less, most of those are built to be pedaled 10 to maybe 15 mph top speed max in mind. How many times have we seen where the 50 to 66cc! china 2 strokes have broken tubes or cracked welding? The professor started this thread with a caution on unsettling vibration, as I said I'm not surprised.

Anyway, that's my opinion, speaking of which, here's another.....

Now, something crossed up there, that just ain't right, lol.

No hard feelings at all.....!

I was just goofing around and talking jibberish a bit just for fun, I agree with you 100% that most bikes will not handle very much power especially if that extra power bring lots of vibrations with it.

I think a good quality older bike with a well made rear rack set up with a good rear wheel with a heavy duty axle would do ok with a 6.5hp " yong wong fong dong" or whatever it is from Harbor Freight oh yeah Predator.... some of these are pretty good Honda clone engines, I have one I built a couple years ago sitting on the shelf that puts out way more than 6.5hp, I ordered several performance parts from AGK and had it on a home built Go Kart, with a 15T Noram clutch driving a 60T sprocket my Kart would hit 52MPH, pretty scary on a small home built Kart with low speed mini bike tires and wheels on it..... this engine would wreck a bicycle but I tmay end up making a real nice pusher for one in the future...... (:~})

Peace, map
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!