Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Hello from Nashville, TN

I've been lurking & building, for several weeks now... Below is a post that I put on the DIY forum.

I'm an old gear-head, built/restored many motorcycles, and have a fairly well-equipped shop. I ran a HT 80cc kit on an old cruiser frame 'til the frame snapped in two places- Shouldn't have drilled holes in the frame, I'm sure.
Anyway, going in a new direction. I picked up a very nice Giant ATX 760. It's a very light 20 inch frame with 26" wheels, 21 speeds, and no suspension. Bought a front suspension fork off of eBay. Looking for a suspension seatpost.
Got a Shindaiwa 62cc blower motor in great shape. I've found that the motor is supposed to make almost 4 hp, before I start modifying it.
What I want to do is install the engine mid-frame, and jackshaft over to the front derailleur. I love the idea of using the gears.
There is no clutch with this engine- a four bolt flywheel/hub assy. to bolt to the blower fan is there.
What sort of clutch would you suggest? How best to lay out a jackshaft? How to mate with the front derailleur? I want to do this RIGHT. I want to fab some great motor mounts that will be kind to the chromoly frame.
As the project unfolds, I'll post photos... I don't want to reinvent the wheel; I'd rather just roll what I've got, at MAXIMUM VELOCITY! Thanks, ~Geoff, from Nashville, TN

Anyway, I'm having a 2nd childhood on this forum, and look forward to being a contributing member. Ride safe, ~Geoff
Old 09-07-2008, 02:26 PM
MB Builder Extraordinaire
Default Re: Hello from Nashville, TN

welcome, geoff!

wish i had some tech advice to give. but if it doesnt bolt right on, i dont do it, haha
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Originally Posted by Bikeguy Joe View Post
You are one sick man spun, I like that quality in a person.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Hello from Nashville, TN

I think I welcomed you early today but if not....Welcome to the forum