Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:18 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Need help installing throttle

Try this diagram posted by 2door, don't use white wire for kill switch. The original kit directions say to use white wire, and some members here still hook up switch that way, but I've personally fried 2 magnetos and a CDI using white wire. Sure I can't prove it was white wire itself that did it, but I never fried either after capping white wire off completely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8342d1242066058-kill-switch-wiring-electrical-diagram.jpg (48.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Dave31; 04-02-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Need help installing throttle

Originally Posted by rohmell View Post
The white wire from the engine is an output, and is normally used to run a light.
The black is ground and the blue is the output from the magneto.
The kill switch should be connected to the black and blue wires, the white wire should be taped up and tucked away if you are not using a light.

Attachment 34859
This is exactly how to hook the killswitch up. Yes, hooking it up to a ground does work but there are some setups that isolate the engine so well that the point of contact is the cables, not a good ground. I ran a wire from the chain guard mount on the motor to one of the water bottle holder bolts. Then whatever grounds for electronics hook up there but I still have the killswitch connected to the two magneto wires.