Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Top Speed

I got a solid 30 with no mods, but I do have the angle fire head and cns carb. I'm 150 pounds
Old 09-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

QUOTE=Scootmeister;327744]Hey 5-7, how well do your gears shift? My latest project has a 7-speed Shimano cassette with grip shift and I can't decide whether to keep it or yank it off. Also, you don't hear much about Tanaka engines. It sounds like you are satisfied with yours. My guess is they are Japanese and of good quality like Hondas (though the Honda 50 is now being made in China). I agree with all of the comments comparing the performance of go-karts to MBs. When I was a kid we used McCullogh and West Bend engines on our karts. These engines were high compression, often boosted with ether, and they had fantastic fully adjustable diaphram carbs. Those engines were so powerful they ate clutches and sprockets for breakfast!! I wonder what karters are running today.[/QUOTE]

Scootmeister, they shift as smooth as butter, after I learned to slack the throttle, pedal and shift gears, then get back on the throttle. No broken chains, cassettes or derailleurs after that. The SBP chainring bike sprocket and the 8mm engine chain and sprocket are indestructible. I was worried about the $20 pocketbike tranny's tiny gears and teeth. I've had a tranny seal, circlip and bearing wear out. However, they're so cheap and easy to replace, if and when the time comes. All pocketbike trannies whine in protest, but they hold together. I use automotive grease instead of oil, in the tranny.

Four mounting bolts hold the engine onto the bike. Disconnect the throttle and killswitch, and the engine falls away from the bike. Remove the transmission shaft sprocket and two more bolts, and the tranny slips off.

The Tanaka engine is so reliable that you just need to wipe down the oil spray and concentrate on the rest of the bike's maintenance needs.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I put a 28t sprocket (I think it was a crank sprocket for a bmx bike) on my motorized bicycle today.... Took it for a test run down town and hit 39mph according to my gps speedo. It doesnt sound like its winding out as high now either. Before, with the 44t, I could only hit 26mph MAX with a tail wind, and thats with the motor screaming. I weigh around 160 and have crappy wheel bearing and tires on my bike. If I were to get new bearing and smoother tires, could I conceivably gain a few extra mph's