Felt MP with 6.5+hp engine hidden in rear of a sidecar?

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I'll believe it when I see it
Actually I'm going to bolt a standard go kart frame to the side of the Felt MP and remove all the wheels, steering wheel and front assembly from the go kart and attach a single bike wheel to the rear outside of the go kart. The go kart already has all the drive train, hardware and mounts for the engine plus a seat for the side car.

I was really just worried about torque steer with the engine not being mounted on the bike. The bike itself is completely stock.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I'll believe it when I see it
I'm not trying to build a U.F.O., just a glorified premade side mounted pusher cart is all.
I'm just going to bolt a standard go kart frame to the side of the Felt MP and remove all the wheels, steering wheel and front assembly from the go kart and attach a single bike wheel to the rear outside of the go kart. The go kart already has all the hardware, rear axle, engine mount and a seat for the side car. I just need to brush up on my welding skills because I have none. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
When I was a kid there was a legless biker dude in town who built something sort of like this, but it was obviously a motorcycle & the engine was in the usual place. The cool part was that he could drive & steer from the sidecar & a passenger could ride on the bike seat.

Didn't see too many passengers on that thing....
I'm in Los Angeles. Where you already have one foot in grave when you get on a regular pedal powered bike, let alone one with an engine and sidecar attached to it. At least I can power out of the way from being ran over by someone in a SUV, texting on their cell phone, with an engine attached. LOL
.duh.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sounds like a fun project!

Other than the normal issues w/any sidecars (handling & maneuverability, width) the only issue I can think of is applied traction (minor), while there may be some "torque steer" (wrong word methinks, but I can't think of one better either lolz) from the offset drive wheel, I think it'd be minor & easily compensated for *shrug*

A couple few of our members have gone the sidecar route (tho none powered as far as I know) http://motorbicycling.com/members/fasteddy/ & http://motorbicycling.com/members/silverbear/ come to mind... Might wanna check this thread fer inspirations ifn you've not seen it already: Sidecars?

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Other than the normal issues w/any sidecars (handling & maneuverability, width) the only issue I can think of is applied traction (minor), while there may be some "torque steer" (wrong word methinks, but I can't think of one better either lolz) from the offset drive wheel, I think it'd be minor & easily compensated for *shrug*

A couple few of our members have gone the sidecar route (tho none powered as far as I know) http://motorbicycling.com/members/fasteddy/ & http://motorbicycling.com/members/silverbear/ come to mind... Might wanna check this thread fer inspirations ifn you've not seen it already: http://motorbicycling.com/f38/sidecar-12559.html
I'm going to try my best to drive both rear wheels with one extra wide go kart axle running straight through both rear wheels (bike and sidecar) but who knows how hard that is gonna be. The bike will remain untouched with all the power, drive-train, and go kart disc brakes hidden behind the sidecar seat which is a standard go kart seat. The sidecar will be built to hold a 6 foot tall person in it and the engine will be a minimum of 200cc 6.5hp 4 stroke Stage 1 Go Kart engine with a Comet Torq-A-Verter on it. When I hit a hill it will not matter. It will just keep accelerating.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to what side the sidecar is on?

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

A couple few of our members have gone the sidecar route (tho none powered as far as I know) http://motorbicycling.com/members/fasteddy/ & http://motorbicycling.com/members/silverbear/ come to mind... Might wanna check this thread fer inspirations ifn you've not seen it already: Sidecars?
I'm surprised no one has tried to make a side car out of a modified go kart frame with the engine inside the sidecar where it normally sits in the rear of a go kart and then attach it to a bike. Maybe I'm just crazy but I don't see why it can't be done. I guess I should keep a bottle of aspirin close by when I start building this thing.:-||

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
As I understand it, you'd want the sidecar on the right for a coupla reasons... As you're a bicycle/low speed vehicle you'd be on the far right of the road and with the added width of a sidecar you'll be ditch running from time to time & better to have the 'car in the rough than the driver lol. It'll also help with visibility - cars are more apt to see the taller driver sitting upright than the sidecar stickin' into the lane.

TBH I would be a touch concerned w/all the added & sustained strain on the bicycle components at the speeds you hope to achieve, there' also something about a sidecar's wheel placement... I think a sidecar typically has it's wheel placed slightly forward of the bicycle/motorcycle's rear wheel for improved handling & stability, but I don't actually remember the specifics :oops: There's also the fact that if you attempt to drive both rear wheels, posi would be the simplest... but as a sidecar bike already has stability issues while turning, that may get decidedly interesting heh ;)

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
So much for the Felt MP. I think the wheelbase is just not long enough for a 4 to 5 foot long sidecar without affecting the bikes steering.:-||

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Re: Felt MP with 6.5+Hp engine mounted in a sidecar?

Fasteddy here. I did that with an electric wheel on a sidecar and redid it with a powered back wheel after riding it a block.

The wheel on the sidecar had a tendency to turn into the bike since the bike was slower than the wheel on the sidecar which used the bike on take off as a pivot point. Kind of like standing on one foot and running with the other. You just turn in a circle.
It would work I think if you were willing to pedal the bike to get it moving at a decent rate of speed and the release the clutch or put power to the wheel.

I can't imagine what turning your bike would be like but mine was a nightmare. The tire scrubbed and the wheel shuddered until it was straight while doing a left turn. Right turns may be impossible since you are turning into a wheel trying to go straight ahead.

Worth a try to see if it works for you but I won't do it again.

Steve..

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Fasteddy here. I did that with an electric wheel on a sidecar and redid it with a powered back wheel after riding it a block.

The wheel on the sidecar had a tendency to turn into the bike since the bike was slower than the wheel on the sidecar which used the bike on take off as a pivot point. Kind of like standing on one foot and running with the other. You just turn in a circle.
It would work I think if you were willing to pedal the bike to get it moving at a decent rate of speed and the release the clutch or put power to the wheel.

I can't imagine what turning your bike would be like but mine was a nightmare. The tire scrubbed and the wheel shuddered until it was straight while doing a left turn. Right turns may be impossible since you are turning into a wheel trying to go straight ahead.

Worth a try to see if it works for you but I won't do it again.

Steve..
I think a long long wheelbase on the bike is critical. There are all kinds of old cars that have rear 1 wheel drive so it has to be possible. If my go kart /sidecar idea works then it will be a major coup because the go kart is pre-ready for everything. If not then I can finally rule that idea out for good. LOL

Motorpsykler

Jul 2, 2011
Northern Wisconsin

Don't forget, those old cars have 2 wheels steering in the front.
I was just thinking about how you drive a traditional sidecar rig, and I believe you need to accelerate on right turns, because the bike travels further than the sidecar. On your proposed rig, accelerating would make things worse on a right turn. You would have to cut the throttle on right turns, which might not be enough. Your rig may require a brake on the right wheel.

It should make lefts like nobody's business. Maybe use it for circle track?

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

I was just thinking about how you drive a traditional sidecar rig, and I believe you need to accelerate on right turns, because the bike travels further than the sidecar. On your proposed rig, accelerating would make things worse on a right turn. You would have to cut the throttle on right turns, which might not be enough. Your rig may require a brake on the right wheel.

This ain't going on no circle track. This is going to be daily transport through the streets of Los Angeles. LOL The go kart axel will have a drum or disc brake on the drive axle like a regular go kart does.

I have the option of mounting the sidecar on either side of the bike. Sounds like the left side of the bike would work the best because I will be making way more right turns than left turns like a UPS truck. I'm not to crazy about being in the left hand lanes ever if I can help it.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

I initially wanted to put a 200cc Stage 1 Go Kart engine on a Felt MP but that engine is way too wide to mount on any bike and looks kinda goofy so I came up with the sidecar idea, but after further searching, I finally found a fully automatic, 125cc, 4 Stroke, w/electric start, Piranha pitbike engine that will easily mount on a bike without my legs being bowed out like I'm on a Harley. Go Kart engines just don't look or fit right on a bike. I want a 4 stroke engine that looks like a traditional motorcycle engine and is narrow. The sidecar idea I think is just gonna be too much trouble for me to handle at this point, although the fun factor would have been high.