Motorized bicycle newbie concerned about IL law for motorized bicycles.

GoldenMotor.com

purebredFL1P

Jul 22, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I currently live in the northern suburbs of Chicago. "The North Shore". I've looked around the forums for IL laws concerning motorized bikes and as I understand, I would need an engine that is less than 50cc and has a speed of less than 20MPH.

If anyone around the area can tell me from experience about cops and such, it will be greatly appreciated.

Frogboy

Jul 22, 2011
Ohio
Re: MB Newbie concerned about IL law for MB.

Well hello and welcome I'm also new to the forums and looking to for a good first build. I'm hoping to earn some help from the mods and other members by greeting new members. In ohio we also have the under 50cc under 20 mph laws.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.

Pb welcome to the forum .your in the right place ,most of the laws in IL. Are covered in the thread in laws and leg section. And i have a list of laws and ord. That I can send you via email if you like.it's far to large for forum spec's
I'm also trying to get a chicagoland riders group going for a fall rally

Motorpsykler

Jul 2, 2011
Northern Wisconsin

Welcome purebred. I too am a newbie just beginning a build. I live in Wisconsin but 4 days a week, I work and stay in Illinois in the Northshore suburbs. I am building my bike to be Illinois legal because that's where I plan to ride it. I plan on carrying the Illinois laws I got off this forum with me, but I am concerned about local ordinances and the cops. My commute would include Glencoe, Northfield, Glenview and Morton Grove, plenty of chances to find a problem cop. I guess I'm just going to ride responsibly and see what happens. Put me on the fall rally list, Shop Dog, hopefully I will be mobile by then.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.

As far as my research shows any city in IL. That has a vec. Restriction in there ord. Has to post those restrictions at the edge of there jusrisdiction. No sign no legit local law.
Also please remember these bikes are NOT motor vec.'s so none of the laws that state "motor vec." apply ,but you do have to follow all bicycle rules and laws.
Your best bett is to carry and understand the new law,and if stoped be polite and follow the cops inst. Then after they had a chance to tell you your in deep , bring out the laws and lett them read it for themselfs. This has worked every time (5) that I've been stoped.