What am I missing?

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Yes, I was thinking running straight to the crank/freewheel bits and eliminating the Jackshaft and one chain. As cheap as the gearbox is, it's probably not going to last for years, but at that price you could certainly have a spare or two.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
In my search for parts that might be used to create a "shifter" inframe 4 stroker, I came accross this:Fancy Scooter: Gas Scooters and Electric Scooters Retail and Wholesale
It doesn't say what clutch size it fits, but it must at least work for the 76mm, maybe the 3.25".
I went to David Statons site, and found this one that only fits the little clutch found on the micro 25cc engines:5 to 1 54 mm INSIDE DRIVE Gear Box.: Staton Inc
Having found it, I sent an e-mail asking about wheither the above box could be used on a micro 35cc. David replied a few hours later that it was too tight to fit the larger motor. On a roll, I replied that I thought maybe someone was missing the boat not building a clockwise rotation gearbox, and guess what. He's done it, and said he do up nealry anything if someone wanted to pay for it. Then he sent pictures of a Honda GXh50 and what is maybe a Subaru 35 with a CW rotation and inside drive, perfect for inframe and a clean and simple shifter setup without the extra chain and jackshaft. I asked David why no one knew, and he replied "No one asked".
Although you can't by Staton's stuff cheap, it isn't made in China nor does he have a reputation for parts failure. I'm stoked and am now hunting for an appropriate, lightweight bike to use with a 35cc Honda 'inframe'. Makes me wish I hadn't sold my American M16. It was all Shimano DeoreXT, and when I shipped it to the new owner, all boxed and surrounded with packing material, the shipping weight was 26lbs.