A way to lock down my gas cap so idiots dont put stuff in my tank.

GoldenMotor.com

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I know that when i park my bike outside a store, say walgreens. Some nut is going to come along and put something in it. My worst fear, is someone will put a lit cigerette in it and itll blow up my bike. Anybody have a idea of how to keep my gas cap locked in place from preying hands. All ideas and suggestions is appreciated.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I just had a friend ask me the same thing . Is this realy a problem ??? People who just wana be jerks will find a way ....
i think one would be able to modd a stock cap with a lock , the problem I see is making a gear that would extend the locking bar to each side of the cap .
Or have one tab that would rotate 180 ?
I'll have to tinker with that idea, in another thread we were just dissc. A fuel cap that would disp just a tanks full of oil ? Perhaps a hybrid of both ideas?

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Would a twin hook do the job? Those things are long. I'd have to strap it to my down tube. It would be nice if we could somehow have a lock for the gas cap. Ive been thinking of any way possible but haven't come up with anything. I know someone will put something in the tank. If they dont, they'll put gum on your seat. Its always something.

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
venturabicycles.com just gave me their prototype locking gas cap...slick looking to say the least...but I think it's going to be closer to $18.00...but you can call them to see.

universitymotor

Nov 5, 2011
College Park, MD
Just wanted to confirm that I ordered this locking gas cap: Step-thru Locking Gas Cap for $14.99 in Gas Caps from 1977 Mopeds thanks to this thread and it fits the stock tear drop tank that came in my 66cc kit from BikeBerry.

Just wanted to post this for future people looking for a locking gas cap. I ordered based on this thread but I figured my chances were 50/50 for it fitting. Really happy I didn't waste my $15, don't have to worry about people pouring sodas or other crap in my tank now while I leave it parked in the parking garage on campus now.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I use a locking gas cap for the same reasons.

When using a goped tank, I drilled thru the plastic cap and the threaded bung. Then I screwed in an allen bolt. That worked for me.

On my HT tanks, I just had to file open the tangs a bit.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
Even if someone had access to put a cigarette in your tank, and even if it would blow up your bicycle, it would also blow up the idiot that did it, because the ignition would be instant. You would have the worlds most opportunistic suicide bomber on your hands.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Yeah, u can actually put a smoldering cigarette out by dunking it in fuel & it wont light up, its only if it makes a spark, say like flicking it 2 ash it or bumping the lit end against something,, tho its a pretty hazardous passtime. Keep ur tank as full as possible, an empty tank is much more dangerous & will explode if ignited, a full tank will just burn a flame out the filler neck when lit. Cover it 2 shut off the oxygen supply & it'll go out. Cheers

LaLongueCarabine

Aug 15, 2011
United States
My Dad used to do this trick of throwing a lit cigarette onto a pail of gas and every time the gas distinguished the cancer stick. But I can understand the need for a locking cap.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Do the old type locking caps fit them. I might take a trip 2 the wreckers (dismantler's) 2 c if I can find 1 2 try it. While on the subject of fuel tanks, I have welded up tanks b4 by sticking a hose over the car exhaust & running into the tank. Allow a decent time 4 it 2 fill with monoxide, then with the car still running u can safely MIG the tank as there's no oxygen inside the tank. Cheers

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
just weld in a wirenet bag just inside the opening...it will filter debris put down....about smoking ashtrays, let it blow high! Then its easy to see who did it! They´ll learn!