Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: A Wasted Effort

I've had a few people tell me that they would like to rig up a china girl bike for there kids or grandkids and I always discourage it if I know the adult cant tell the difference between a (SAE Cressent wrench and a metric Cressent wrench.......)

These engines are just not kid stuff for the majority of them anyway, most kids need Plug & Play stuff or an adult that will be there with them to guise them with an always on going project like these HT's.

I agree that the best way to do one of these for a kid is to have the kid involved in the entire proccess so they have a better understanding of what it's all about and a better appreciation for the work involved in building it.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:14 PM

A guy I work with amazes me.

Told me he couldn't get a car loan because he owes too much money. Why does he need a loan? To buy a truck. What's the truck for? Well, he wants to buy his son a dirt bike and needs the truck to haul the dirt bike to the dirt.

And now for the punch line...are you ready...

The kid ain't even 5 years old.

In case you're wondering...

Nah, not a BMX, a motorcycle -
The only thing in my garage with 4 wheels is the lawnmower
Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 PM

A Wasted Effort

yeah i know 2 door , the last couple of generations of kids really worry me ,
they seem to just not really give a crap , they don't take care of their stuff , gift or bought , they show no respect at all to their elders ,the fact is they are soft and lazy , we have been to easy on them , in my day if you broke your toys , that was it period , you didn't get another one on mommy and daddy's credit card , if you pitched a fit over it you got your a$$ beat with a shoe , the party was over , if you got up in the face of a elder you promptly got the crap whipped out of you , even if you didn't know the person the disrespect was shown to, if our fate is the youths hands GOD HELP US !
i generally take the long cut home
Old 06-11-2011, 11:36 PM

2 Door I understand how you feel. I spent the better part of six months building a R/C airplane for myself I had just finished the mono-cote (the outer skin) and left the house to get the engine and other parts from the attic. I come back to see my grandsons "flying my plane out the second floor window right onto/INTO my driveway. Needless to say I didn't finish that one. The lack of respect in today's youth is unbelievable. You'll get that one up and running in no time, Maybe this time you can sell it to someone, or at least make him EARN it. Good luck with the rebuild and keep us posted.
Hope it Helps. I am also a proud member of the 20 MPH. club
Old 06-11-2011, 11:42 PM

Ouch! That stings the soul. I am sorry to hear that this is how it ended up, 2door.
What a sad outcome. I agree with your decision to keep the bike after you rebuild it. It sounds like your nephew has no real appreciation for what it is and what proper care and maintenance are.
I am not going to comment on the youth of today, only agree fully with what everyone else has posted concerning the subject.
I wish you the best of fortune with the rebuild, and who knows..... perhaps someone else may come along in your life that will fit the bike ( you said it was too small for you) and respect it as well. Everything happens for a reason, good or bad.
"It's a chinagirl. It's a sometimes fun little engine that often will break your heart. It's disposable.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 06-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

I learned a long time ago that when you have determined to give somebody a gift, you have to be able to kiss it goodbye. If you can't, you're really just loaning it to them. Most of the people I have encountered cannot or will not understand the care and love that a craftsman can put into a gift that he wishes to give to somebody who is important to him. I have become (maybe too) careful about what I give to whom. I recognize that for some gifts that I want to give people, I may not be strong enough to kiss it goodbye and they may not be kind enough to respect it. Foreseeing a rift in a friendship, I then decide against the gift.

The gifts I've given my wife, even though I've been able to kiss those goodbye, I discovered I never had to. And she treasures them. And I couldn't love her more for that.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 06-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

cut the kid some slack, buy him a brand new pit bike, with helmet and body armor. Make sure its a 4stroke so the are no fuel mixups.

jk, fix it and ride it around infront of the kid to tease him
Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 AM

2door this is a time for a life lesson, with out being to hard on him drag his butt over to the garage and let him take every thing apart, explain why each part failed. As the bill rings up make him do a choir or something for the replacement parts.

If you just take the bike and be done with him he will remain this way with everything in his life.

Raising my kids when they broke something they either fixed it or it stayed broke, there was not a get a new one option. They learned how to fix things, that there actions weather intentional or accidental had consequences and they had to make it right.

That’s my 2¢.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Too bad, 2Door. I remember when my son was 13 and I was going to teach him to work on cars and put together a nice car for him in the process. We went out to work on the family chariot and he came back in the house abruptly. Had to wash the grease off his hands! I knew right then and there he would never be much of a mechanic. Some have the knack, some don't. Now I have to get to work on my Geo Metro. Next week Dax will be shipping me a new cylinder, piston, and rings to get my GT50R going after the Opti-2 fiasco.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 AM

Mapbike..... That is why at 64 I... 1. Have NEVER gave or paid for a vehicle for my 2 boys. 2. They as teenagers have NEVER driven my vehicles without me there. 3. Have never paid for their insurance. I guess I'm just a hard azz. I wanted my kids to respect what they paid for.
Looking for HT's parts?
HT pre instillation tips.
Engine running problems?
HT breakdown Photos

Ron ><)))))*> Calera, Alabama

Last edited by Al.Fisherman; 06-12-2011 at 09:20 AM.