Love my Bike but...

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Grandma

Jun 8, 2011
mission viejo, ca
I bought a Panama Jack bike first because its me. Then ordered a engine but could'nt get it cause cali. That didn't stop me, found another and got a 80cc raw engine. My brother built it but we had some difficulty. Long story short I've always had a car right now I don't so this bike is my transpo. And anyone who knows me, knows it fits me. But I feel retarded I need a chiltons for it. Seriously. I broke off front mount bolt then again lost same mount bolt a week later, chain broke, gas everywhere, had to the shop twice. I've had it about 2 months. My brother has recued me but I need to know more about it myself. I hear different things on it as I ride every day don't know anyone who has one. All and all I get a little frustrated but she's a good girl. I have only a zillion questions.zpt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy CG, welcome. Could get better studs at any hardware store. The chain sounds like an alignment issue, When ya can, post some pics.

MB folks are really great and enjoy helping out. Search for folks near you. I know there are a bunch of Cali rides.

treyoh5

Apr 29, 2011
Miami, Fla.
i feel ya,i love the bike i built on a very similar style frame but da*m this thing is a pandoras box. one new problem after the last was just solved. i love the look i get when im out on the road though!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're really glad to see you and encourage more ladies to join us.
As for a manual, you've found the best, most comprehensive place for help, advice and ideas to make your motorized bicycle a fun, reliable source of transportation.
Everyone of us have experienced 'teething' problems with our first efforts so don't be discouraged. We're here to help.
Tom

Crazy Grandma

Jun 8, 2011
mission viejo, ca
So what kind of bolt stainless steel. I'm serious my neighbor works on cars and he said the same thing. The chain broke a few weeks back and I just wanted it to ride good. My brother did a great job building for me so I had a friend drop it off at EZ cruisers I told him to put a new chain on but I guess my friend told him different so he fixed it. The chain is bent and he says it will straighten out but the last 2 days its wanting to jump the sprocket. Scared the **** out of me for only a moment. Your really with the road and yourself on these. Got plenty of questions. Thanks for the Welcome

Dontwannawalk

Dec 23, 2009
Iowa
Here's my experience with replacing the mounting bolts. Don't go with the hardened steel mounting bolts. They break before they bend and they break inside the stud hole in the engine (yes I used Loc-tite). They are so hard I couldn't drill a hole in them to use an easy out & they had to be removed at a machinist shop. I re-tapped 1/4" for threads and used re-thread from the local farm supply store for the replacements & now have no problem. If they do break again I can get a hole in them to use an easy-out. You can also make them long enough to work with easily and trim off the excess after every thing is securely mounted & tested.
dance1

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Welcome to the forum . Please ask any question that pops to mind , deff when it come to safety . Chains are way cheaper then broken bones . Once you get her dialed in you'll find your bike is like a faithfull old dog ,always there for you and always ready to run. But that takes time and effort on your part . You already made steps in the right direction by joining the forum .
Do women think of there bikes as female ? All mine are ladys even tho they don't always act like it...

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
welcome. iv been dealing with chains alot the past few days. iv never had one break other then master links and cheep half links coming off. but i also have not used the chains supplied in the kits i buy. well now that they come with cheep single speed (1-1/8)chains. if i where you id get a nice KMC single speed chain. or something along that line. here is a link to the one i bought for my shift kit...http://www.probikekit.com/us/kmc-k7...m_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google_base_usd

i also have a KMC stretch proof 3/32 inch for my main drive. that is much smaller then the single speed. and has not given me a problem yet. and it is set up through a derailleur to 7 gears.

cheep chains under alot of stress can be vary unsafe. and for $20 you can lessen the chance of it breaking and doing damage to you or your bike. and with a stretch proof not only will you have a stronger chain. it wont stretch over time and get loose. so you can size it and ditch the tensioner that comes with the kit, another potential problem.

well good luck and hope you get the help you need. have fun and ride safe.

Crazy Grandma

Jun 8, 2011
mission viejo, ca
Problem today. Leaking a little fuel just got home from work but coming home she runs great idling real different on way home died at intersection almost like shes sick. Can't tell where kinda looks like carb but everything is tight. Also this is the second time with a fuel prob. couple weeks ago got up leaking good she tried to gas me. brother put new tubing and tight zip
ties . But right at first fuel won't go down tube. Then bro fixed it working good but noticed a week ago fuel line tube staying full with everything off. bb in awhile off to the garage. Any one in Mission Viejo.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. Two things. The alignment of the chain to the rear sprocket is very important... if it is off, then the chain wants to jump off the sprocket. I would suggest walking with the bike next to you, clutch in and study the engine chain as it travels from engine to rear wheel... if it seems to be binding somewhere then that needs to be addressed... if so we can help you get it right. The Chinese chain that comes with the motor is not the best, but is adequate if things are lined up right. It is called #415 chain. You can get a much better quality chain which will fit at an auto supply store like Napa. It is #41 chain. But if you have an alignment issue, even the best chain will jump.

Regarding the leaking gas. Maybe a small metal hose clamp would be better than a zip tie. Hardware stores carry them. If the fuel is not shutting off at the petcock it could be that there was junk in the gas tank when you got the kit. Some of that junk could be stuck in the petcock. Just a thought. That would not affect the leaking, just the fuel remaining in the line. Be patient and you'll work all this out. These are great fun, aren't they? Best yet is when you are confident you will get where you're going and back home again without any problems. We need more ladies on the forum to help give us some balance here, so you are very welcome. No dumb questions... we all were new to this at one time.
SB

Dontwannawalk

Dec 23, 2009
Iowa
Leak problem--- I purchased some fuel tubing from a small engine supply repair shop that was far superior to the tubing that came with the kit. It's clear and has a lot more flexibility to it & stays that way. They sell it off of a large roll in a box & you buy it by the foot. I need no clamp with it.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Welcome to the forum. There are three weak links in a kit. The fuel petcock, the chain and the spark plug cable and boot. The sooner you replace all three the better off you're going to be. I've had good luck with the petcock and plug wire from Sick Bike Parts. I've got four bikes and I've never gotten more than about 350 miles out of a kit supplied chain despite cleaning and lubing them with high dollar lube every week. I started using 415 chains from Bikeberry.

Crazy Grandma

Jun 8, 2011
mission viejo, ca
I need to get clamps but here it is if any ladies are out there. This is why I need a manual. My idleing coming home and dying at crosswalk anywho my harley friend came over and my idle is also in my throttle. Who would of thought that. Ok saved again. But my chain is bent I have a rough patch. **** it runs better up hills and fast. Hear too many noises disengaged going down hill.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Welcome. I've had a MB about two months and I had a friend put it together so it's new to me as well.

Going to add some after market and doing some experimentation on the intake side.

One small step at a time works for me.. It's funny but I find calm and solace when I sit on my bucket next to the bike to do even the simplest things like wiping the bike frame.

I think one either loves MB's or doesn't right from the start.

Sounds like you love it.. Good for you friend!

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Sorry you're having so many problems, Crazy Grandma!

I've only really had my finished bike for the first few days, so maybe I shouldn't be saying anything. But one of my mount bolts broke off inside the motor, so it took me a long time to drill holes into the motor and bolt on a mounting plate. Also a few days ago my chain jumped off and I spent a few hours using plyers to get the chain out from between the sprocket and the spokes.

I'd say with these kits, it's best to replace whatever parts you can with better quality parts. Pretty much anything you get from a hardware store or an automotive shop is going to be better no matter what. Some things weren't worth the trouble of finding replacements, like some of the studs, but I wish I used better bolts the first time than the ones that came in the kit. The petcocks are kinda tricky. Mine was leaking gas right out of the switch(not around the edges of the tubing). But the next day I used it and it was completely fine. I have no idea why.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
So what kind of bolt stainless steel. I'm serious my neighbor works on cars and he said the same thing.
Don't use stainless bolts. They are almost always ungraded. The stock studs are junk and they are probably better than stainless. Remove/replace the old studs with metric Property Class 9.8, 10.9 or 12.9. Higher the better. You can find them at your local Ace or Lowe's. It's a good idea to loctite em, I always used red on the motor mount studs.

Here's my experience with replacing the mounting bolts. Don't go with the hardened steel mounting bolts. They break before they bend and they break inside the stud hole in the engine (yes I used Loc-tite).
This is just crazy talk, IMO. They bolts shouldn't bend, either. I've used 10.9 and 12.9 and they never broke or bent. If you had problems with breaking, you didn't go with a high enough grade.

Crazy Grandma

Jun 8, 2011
mission viejo, ca
Ok when my brother built it the frame was too large so we drilled throug the front tube. First that one broke and then got a new one and that loosened up. put another on with locktite so far so good. I'm gonna get clamps for the fuel line but what about the fuel filter? If I need parts so far you guys have been awesome help. Where do I find one and what is best? I have been through a spark plug and EZ cruisers fixed some stuff on my bike I think he has been tired of hearing from Grandma. my chain has been bent and the tension pulley has moved I can feel a rough patch still in it. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
something is not lined up. This **** is driving me crazy.
:-||