What do i need to know to replace my spark plug?

GoldenMotor.com

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
What do I need to know/do to replace my spark plug? I'm not sure how they're sized / what factors to consider so it fits my bike. My bike is a 48cc 2-stroke, but i don't really know specifically which one.

The current one has a screw-bit on the top of it, but I think that newer ones have a ball thing, right? That'd be better?

I'd probably want to go to autozone / advance auto parts and pick it up. I'll also need a new wire.

I know there's a million threads on plugs, but most are like 'which high perfomance plug is higher performance' and now 'plugs for noobs' :)

Thanks!

jototojo

Apr 10, 2011
argentina
Its really easy, just go and by an NGK spark plug bp6hs, i have this, and you just unscrew the little lid or cap that the new one has.
To take the old one just pull the Spark Plug cable (Black), and unscrew.
Simple.

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
Do I need a spark plug socket to get the old one out, or can it somehow be done with a wrench or something?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
There should be a silver tool that came with the kit. One side is for the plug, if not a spark plug socket and a ratchet will do fine. 5/8" or 3/4" depending on the spark plug.

Personally I'd change BOTH the spark plug and the ignition wire/boot. To remove the ignition wire, turn out of the CDI (counter clockwise).. to install reverse operation. Use one with a wire core (not from a late model car). Lawnmower shops will have this or you can rob one from a old lawnmower.

Last edited:

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
there are spark plug sockets if you have one i would use it.it would be easier and not as prone to causing damage like a wrench.i hope im answering the question lol

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Before you change the sparkplug, make one last full throttle blast down a flat road, kill the engine, then pedal home. Make sure your engine is stone cold, before removing the sparkplug. Install new sparkplug.

Now look at your old sparkplug. Is it black, brown or white around the electrode? If it's brown, leave your engine alone. If plug is black or white, then carb tuning might be in order.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, looks so good I'd just leave it in there.

Just clean it up a bit with some carb cleaner and put it right back in.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My old plug looked just like that when I pulled it. I had two new ones, so I installed a new plug. Then I kept my old plug as a spare.dance1

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I will tell you what Murph. Looks like your spark plug is fine. When I replaced my spark plug, I went to a motorcycle shop, showed them my spark plug, and just by looking at it they found a compatible plug. One difference between the stock plug and the new plug was the hex size. A different hex size doesn't hurt anything as long as everything else is the same. But the different hex size meant that the kit supplied spark plug tool no longer fit. A buddy of mine gave me a spark plug socket, so I'm good to go.

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
Thanks for all the advice, guys :) Glad to know my carby is working well!

I got a plug from the auto parts store and it fit great.

I'm keeping the old one around as a spare - I mostly needed to change it because it had the 'screw' on top instead of the 'ball' and the spark plug wiring i could find wouldn't fit it well!

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Thanks for the thread!

Is it really true the cable unscrews out of the cdi????

It looks like a one piece unit so I went shopping for a cap only.. found one but I'd like to change the wire..

Ordered two NGK spark plug bp6hs' so I'll have one in stock if needed.

The plug that came with the motor has what I call a bobble head instead if a screw on cap. Why?
The retaining clip came off and so the bobble head is free to fall off the plug.

I hope the NGK's are quality.. Oh well maybe I can find an old plug with a screw on head and rob that top.

Last edited: