Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors



Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting

Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your engine and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.


CDI to Coil?

Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your engine and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-24-2008, 07:44 AM
odds10to1 odds10to1 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default CDI to Coil?

Is it possible to convert from a CDI unit to a coil? If so, Can you tell me the best coil to get? Thank You.
__________________
Thank You from
Artistic Mind, simple man.
odds10to1
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-30-2008, 08:47 AM
BlueCollarBike BlueCollarBike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CDI to Coil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds10to1 View Post
Is it possible to convert from a CDI unit to a coil? If so, Can you tell me the best coil to get? Thank You.
Why not use what you have.
is there a problem with your current set up?
If it works Don't fix it.( unless your looking to improve for Performance)
If your CDI has failed Why not just use another.

cheers

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
odds10to1 odds10to1 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CDI to Coil?

Thank You BlueCollarBike,
Just trying to simplify things. Seems to me a coil would be better than a CDI, plus cheaper also. But I really don't know, I'm not a mechanic. Also, I'm not sure if I have a problem with my CDI. My bike would crank, then stop running. Crank again, then stop running. Then wouldn't crank at all. I'm running into all sorts of problems trying to swithch from Japanese to American. $7.00 for a $1.19 spark plug is rediculas, plus a $6.00 s/h charge on top of that.
__________________
Thank You from
Artistic Mind, simple man.
odds10to1
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2008, 01:57 PM
BlueCollarBike BlueCollarBike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CDI to Coil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds10to1 View Post
Thank You BlueCollarBike,
Just trying to simplify things. Seems to me a coil would be better than a CDI, plus cheaper also. But I really don't know, I'm not a mechanic. Also, I'm not sure if I have a problem with my CDI. My bike would crank, then stop running. Crank again, then stop running. Then wouldn't crank at all. I'm running into all sorts of problems trying to swithch from Japanese to American. $7.00 for a $1.19 spark plug is rediculas, plus a $6.00 s/h charge on top of that.
WHO is the one ripping people off !!

$7 for aspark plug...Your kidding right.


Your Symptoms may be a lose wire ( cdi) or a sticking kill switch..try unhooking the kill switch and see if it still cuts out.

Let me Know Or give me a ring.

bob

BlueCollarBike

860-673-6457
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2008, 09:59 PM
odds10to1 odds10to1 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CDI to Coil?

Thank You BlueCollarBike,
The only place I knew of until I stumbled upon 'MotorBicycling.com' was where I bought the motor. They get $7.00 per plug plus $2.00 s/h. They get $21.00 per CDI, plus $5.00 s/h. If you buy both at the same time, you pay both s/h charges also. Their CDI's will only use a plug that has no cap. I was never able to find one that had no cap that was 14mm thread and 11mm reach. Thanks to 'Motorbicycling.com' My problems are being solved at a fraction of what it would have costed me. Thank You again.
__________________
Thank You from
Artistic Mind, simple man.
odds10to1
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 PM
BlueCollarBike BlueCollarBike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CDI to Coil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds10to1 View Post
Thank You BlueCollarBike,
The only place I knew of until I stumbled upon 'MotorBicycling.com' was where I bought the motor. They get $7.00 per plug plus $2.00 s/h. They get $21.00 per CDI, plus $5.00 s/h. If you buy both at the same time, you pay both s/h charges also. Their CDI's will only use a plug that has no cap. I was never able to find one that had no cap that was 14mm thread and 11mm reach. Thanks to 'Motorbicycling.com' My problems are being solved at a fraction of what it would have costed me. Thank You again.
well for future reference You should look at ngk-b6hs or champion L7J for a spark plug.

And you are able to unscrew the wire from your CDI and rundown to a Auto parts store for a replacement wire.
You can cut the wire you purchase and screw it into the CDI.

hope this helps.

cheers

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Dave31's Avatar
Dave31 Dave31 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 11,289
Thanks: 205
Thanked 82 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: CDI to Coil?

My local Checker auto parts store has the NGK, Champion, and Autolite for around $3.00.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 PM
NickDK's Avatar
NickDK NickDK is offline
Motorized Bicycle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CDI to Coil?

On my CDI that came with the engine kit the spark plug wire runs directly into the CDI box and there appears to be no way to remove it or open the CDI. How do you guys replace the original spark plug wire with this kind of setup?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Dave31's Avatar
Dave31 Dave31 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 11,289
Thanks: 205
Thanked 82 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: CDI to Coil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDK View Post
On my CDI that came with the engine kit the spark plug wire runs directly into the CDI box and there appears to be no way to remove it or open the CDI. How do you guys replace the original spark plug wire with this kind of setup?
You just twist it out, check this thread........http://motorbicycling.com/f3/spark-p...motor-765.html
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
odds10to1 odds10to1 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CDI to Coil?

Thank You BlueCollarBike,
I already have taken care of that. I am now waiting on a fuel filter. No parts or hardware store had any in stock. I had to order one. Be here Tuesday 9-02-2008.
__________________
Thank You from
Artistic Mind, simple man.
odds10to1
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Sponsors

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
MotorBicycling.com