Hello from Huntington beach, CA

GoldenMotor.com

Professor_Fate

May 11, 2011
H.B./O.C. Calif
Hi...my name is Mark. From H.B, Calif. Been a lurker for 4 or 5 months but finally made the jump and bought a motor kit.
I used to race mountain bikes in the late 80's-early 90's(mostly for fun)but now after a back injury at work I can no longer ride such aggressive bikes.
A few years ago I started re-doing old cruisers(much easier to ride with a bad back). A few cruisers, a 3 wheeler and a 41 Colson later I decided to motorize
one.
1996 repop Schwinn Classic Cruiser...(found at the Goldenwest College swap meet for a good deal)
I decided on a 4-stroke HS with the Q-matic
Rear rack mounted fuel cell
blah blah blah

Motor arrived and am now getting all the other parts ordered and installed....

Anyway......within the next few weeks I hope to have her running.
Would luv to hook up and go for some rides once it's street legal

BTW......A Newport Beach officer lives two doors down from me. I got a copy
of their cheat sheet from him. It all looks normal cept for the
insurance. sheesh

drn2

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
BTW......A Newport Beach officer lives two doors down from me. I got a copy
of their cheat sheet from him. It all looks normal cept for the
insurance. sheeshdrn2
Hi welcome to the forum. I used to live in HB but now I live in Lake Forest. Insurance, what insurance or is this just a NB thing? I thought it was a DOT helmet, m1 or m2 license, license plate, and a rear red reflector light.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the Newport cop (officer Darling) i talk to told me they thought you need insurance for our bikes. i cited the only mention of it in the dmv code, whichis just a disclaimer that a dealer needs to give to a customer, which basically says "your insurance company may not insure this bike..."

i ran into him a little while later and he told me he looked all over the website and found nothing stating we need insurance, so he told me we don't, and if anyone gets a ticket for it to fight it. he also said he'd inform other officers, but i doubt they'll fix the wording on their "cheat sheets." printing costs money.

here's a copy of it:

the vehicle code cited for insurance is the standard one based on cars and motorcycles, and makes no mention of motorized bicycles.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome to the forum Mark (^) you're in for alot of fun!

Now for a small rant....
What is the last code (12.64.030) supposed too mean?????? Sounds like a load of NBMC crock! Honestly.......

And what, is it illegal to pedal a motorized bike on a bike path with the engine off??????? Gimme a break, you're joking right? Let's get real here people, pedaling a bike on a bike path is just that ain't it????? It's not a motorcycle or an off-road vehicle is it now? Tree huggin road fags will kill this earth we live on, unfortunately!

This is just my feelings on the legality of MB's in this "great state" I was born into, nothing against any posters or fellow riders on this forum :)

the Newport cop (officer Darling) i talk to told me they thought you need insurance for our bikes. i cited the only mention of it in the dmv code, whichis just a disclaimer that a dealer needs to give to a customer, which basically says "your insurance company may not insure this bike..."

i ran into him a little while later and he told me he looked all over the website and found nothing stating we need insurance, so he told me we don't, and if anyone gets a ticket for it to fight it. he also said he'd inform other officers, but i doubt they'll fix the wording on their "cheat sheets." printing costs money.

here's a copy of it:

the vehicle code cited for insurance is the standard one based on cars and motorcycles, and makes no mention of motorized bicycles.

Last edited:

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
Another question is what if there isn't a bike path available i.e. Beach Blvd or perhaps my case on El Toro Rd. Do we ride on the street still with out a bike lane or on the sidewalk?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup. just ride it in the street. totally legal. just stay off sidewalks, boardwalks, and the river trail unless the motor's off.

the NB cheat sheet is pretty vague, and even the cops know it. in any case, if you get ticketed for anything and it's wrong, find the appropriate laws, go to court and you'll win.

the best approach is the "yes sir, no sir, sorry sir, i didn't know sir..." approach. that should get you a warning at most. at least the first time...:)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Another question is what if there isn't a bike path available i.e. Beach Blvd or perhaps my case on El Toro Rd. Do we ride on the street still with out a bike lane or on the sidewalk?
NEVER ride with your motor on the side walk!
It is asking for a ticket and is much more dangerous than
riding in the street even though it may feel safer.
Even pedal bicycles are not allowed to ride on the sidewalk
although it may be tolerated in certain cities.

If a bicycle is legally allowed to ride down a road then a
motorized bicycle can too.
It is legal to ride down high speed streets like Beach Blvd
but the smart thing is to avoid them in your route if you
can.
One of these days when I have more time I will write an article
on surviving on the streets riding a motorized bike.

As for cops if you have the big items covered like a visible DOT
helmet, license plate, mirror and lights at night you will probably
not get stopped. If you do having a valid M2 or M1 plus your plate
registration card is all you need.

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
Ok thanks that's good info to know. In the past I've ridden on the sidewalk when there wasn't a bike path available, I just didn't want to get nailed by a car.

Bmonette8385

Mar 11, 2011
Orange County, CA
Welcome professor Fate. I'm in Huntington as well. North HB by Huntington Harbor. There is so much good info on the sire, you'll find a fix to most all problems. Good luck and have fun. PM me if you want to go for a ride, I'm always down! Have fun and be safe!

NEVER ride with your motor on the side walk!
If a bicycle is legally allowed to ride down a road then a
motorized bicycle can too.
It is legal to ride down high speed streets like Beach Blvd
but the smart thing is to avoid them in your route if you
can.

Yeah you can ride in traffic. you just cant ride down the freeway.(unless, bikes can. i.e. PCH and the 5 south like in San clemente. then your OKies.) But I ride Beach to adams, I only cross into the left lane when safe for making left hand turns, if I cant then I just cross on right and wait for the light. Just obide but normal street laws and use your hand signals. Just think before you act and ride safe.

Last edited: