Cranbrooke 1st Build

GoldenMotor.com

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
A couple of questions:
Are those hand grips tapered?? Looks like it in the pic...where'd you get 'em?
Also, why do so many people use the Crannie, but others think it is a POS? I've been in a few hobbies where the thinking is that money buys much more quality and sometimes it does and sometmies it doesn't. Nice project

Frankenstien Bikes

May 11, 2011
San Diego
A couple of questions:
Are those hand grips tapered?? Looks like it in the pic...where'd you get 'em?
Also, why do so many people use the Crannie, but others think it is a POS? I've been in a few hobbies where the thinking is that money buys much more quality and sometimes it does and sometmies it doesn't. Nice project
Thanks, I bought the grips from a local bike store, they have a molded shape that tapers a bit but fits really good inside your hand. Ill try and see if i can get the manufacture name for ya.

So Many people use the Cranny cause its cheap. In my opinion its not all that bad! I upgraded my rims to some husky heavy du
ty ones so I could use the manic mechanic hub and wanted 24 inch rims instead of 26, for my Thick Brick Tires.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
I know I am late to the show but if you drill out the right hole so its alittle bigger on the expansion chamber mounting flange it allows you to the offset the pipe itself with out making custom offset engine mounts.

Here I made you a top of the line drawing to show you what I mean :

:D

Last edited:

Frankenstien Bikes

May 11, 2011
San Diego
I know I am late to the show but if you drill out the right hole so its alittle bigger on the expansion chamber mounting flange it allows you to the offset the pipe itself with out making custom offset engine mounts.

Here I made you a top of the line drawing to show you what I mean :

:D
Had to offset the engine cause I used way wider tires, need room for. Chain not to rub.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
I saw a 2009 Cranbrick a while back and compared it to my 2010. Same bike, but several differences. Front fender has a THICK set of TWO tabs holding it to the fork on my bike, while the 2009 had the death trap configuration. The welds are of different quality as well. 12 guage spokes vs. 16. Overall, I would say that 2010 was the year the Chinese acsended the learning curve. Been running my 'brick since August of last year, I've had no issue with the bike only minor issues with the motor... there was the timethat the coaster brake lever retaining screw backed out but that was an issue of maintanance. Currently about to build six of them...usflg
the Old Sgt.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
A couple of questions:
Here's my thoughts on the ol' Crannie. It's a great looking, short and cheap frame. If you change out the wheels and do a proper inspection of all the bearings, it's a great starter bike. Only issue is the brakes. You need to find a RELIABLE form of a way to stop the thing! Coaster will fail. Mounting a side pull in the rear isn't a good idea either, as I found out the hard way when mine broke, wedged the rear tire and sent me dirt track style down the street. I am currently looking for a front fork with brake bosses to install a front V or cantilever style brake.

Another option if you're looking for a bike to motorize is to have patience and check craigslist for cruisers with brakes already installed on a steel frame.