Chain jammed in engine cog

GoldenMotor.com

BloodOfAnAkrobat

Apr 30, 2011
Chicago
My chain derailed and proceeded to jam in the engines cog after skipping a link. The chain is seated on the cog but it's doubled up inside the covered area. I cant seem to feed the chain through in either direction or can i figure out a way to fix it with out taking a grinder and cutting out the links. Is there any other way to fixing this situation?

Can the cog pull out of the housing so i can move the chain?

Also, whats the easiest way to align the chain from the rear wheel to the engine?

awmurrell91

May 6, 2011
Columbia,SC
mine did this as well today!
here's what to do:
use the tool [that came in the kit to feed the chain around the cog], turn it both ways to try to unjam the chain (this works sometimes). if that doesn't work, use a flathead screwdriver to pry the chain up and then use the tool again to turn the cog until the chain is fixed.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
chain tensionerr might be too tight. my chain wore a groove in my tensioner wheel and if i had it too tight, it would slide into the groove, and then proceed to kick off and jam around the drive sprocket. took me a few times of it happening till i realized what the problem was. now i just mount the engine where it puts the right amount of tension on the chain and i dont need a tensioner anymore.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The tensioners are setup to run at an angle to what they should be running. I clamped mine in a vice and twisted the top portion to an angle that corresponds with the direction the chain needs to run.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Sounds like you need a second tensioner coming in from the top to line it up going off your sprocket.

Be sure your sprocket is centered on the wheel first thing - then you want to make sure your chain is properly tight (1 cm - 1.75 cm) and aligned to go from the motor onto the driven sprocket smoothly.

One thing you can do to be sure your tensioner doesn't move is just replace the mounting bolts with steel bolts, then you can torque em down good and tight without worry of stripping em.

I've had it bind at the drive chain - it sucks. Just work it with pliers and a screwdriver and you can get it out eventually. Might take 15 or 20 mins. I've done it on the side of the road before, so I guarantee you you can do it without taking the drive sprocket off.