Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Cool petcock size

I need to order a bung for the tank i'm making for my bike. I want to use the sick bike parts petcock. I need to know what the thread size is. I'm almost certain it's 1/8 npt but need to know definitely before I order. thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Default Re: petcock size

Engine kit petcocks are 10mm x 1.0 thread pitch. An 1/8" npt petcock will also work. The sick bike parts petcock with the blue lever is a nice part.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: petcock size

Stock I believe is a straight pipe thread. However 1/8" NPT (National pipe taper) threads have allways fit in my tanks without any problems (And I use heavy brass petcocks), just use some teflon tape over the petcock threads first.

Some people mention chasing it with a 1/8" npt tap, but I havent really seen the need. Likey would be a little stronger...

However i'll note that on the tanks I have been getting, the braze on the bung ALLWAYS cracks... Especialy when I go over any washboard terrian with my heavy brass petcock. (And sometimes additional brass hardware depending on what im testing)

My solution? Add another 1/4lb worth of brass braze to the tank around the bung. I have gotten pertty good at it, leaves a nice smooth but large fillet.

(Subnote: My MUCH MUCH older kits tank is 2x as thick metal, and the braze fillet on the bung is like 1/4" radius as opposed to the newer kits 1/16" radius fillet, That tank has never leaked.)